Burguer stuff

Previous topic - Next topic

erico

...and a sausage appears! :D

bigsofty

:D ha, that's more like it. It looks great Erico!   :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

dreamerman

Artwork style is final - are you aiming at something like 16 color graphic for retro fans? With TV overlay, maybe scanline effect that would be game for them :-)
I like that bounce effect if hamburger falls down, and water splash sprite/animation.
Check my source code editor for GLBasic - link Update: 20.04.2020

erico

The style is final but some of the images will still change. 16 colors. Will also look into those post fxs.

I think I now have the core game working codewise: 3 players, level starts and ends, enemy, score counts.
The player itself, again, took a lot of work, specially adding the pepper while jumping...
...as the player lands while animating the throwing of the pepper, it cancels the action and it feels the control is unresponsive.
So now the player continues with landing pepper animation but if you fell from a higher ground that the player does a stop, then it cancels the pepper.
Similar had to be added while throwing pepper of a ledge and then falling out of it, the player switches to mid air pepper animation.

Looks like a small problem but makes a huge difference while playing.

erico

Here everyone on the scene.
The pickles will fast spin towards you if on the same level, a hit sends you spinning away with a good chance to hit the water.
The popsicle, as said before, will freeze burger pieces, you have to defreeze it by walking through its center (very slow). If a burger falls over a frozen one or the levels colapses, everything frozen will crash and be destroyed.

There are 9 designed levels with increased difficulty.
If you can keep your score above level*100, your are presented a more difficult modified version of the level.

You score the points of the burger you are standing on the platform at the level end + 5pts for each enemy thrown to water.
There is a very nice system to keep track of it because sometimes some action might dominó its way to thrown an enemy overboard on the other side of the screen...If your action was responsible for such, you score it. :)
Your life is your score, you loose 20pts if you fall on water.
You reincarnate as long as you have score and a door is above water.

That is pretty much it. Sound is missing and I still have to work on the player´s control to make it even better.
I also suspect making the android control for a single player version (which I intend to try sell it locally as merchandise) is going to be a challenge.

On the video, a couple friends are playing on the keyboard and joypad...I´m playing the green guy by my phone using a wifi joypad app.
Expect the green player to be constantly falling off platforms amongst other dumb stuff.

http://youtu.be/SaqsGcT1BEk

EDIT: You tube not previwing again? My last post works but I can´t append to this one, even if I copy the same code from the working post before.
EDIT2: I thought it could be because of the copyR music I used, but removing it and it still does not display. I tried previewing another random youtube video and it worked...heck, what is up with this.
EDIT3: Works fine now...

r0ber7

Your characters are awesome!

:D

dreamerman

That's green thing is a cucumber slice? Only that somehow doesn't fit, no legs, different animation.. sausage is the best :D
When player is climbing on ladder collision with pickles is disabled, or just collision rectangle is smaller?
As for one-screen game looks really good, and in my opinion there is no much things that could be added to keep style / simplicity of the game (power-ups like temporary immunity, longer range for attacks). With menu's in same retro style, some kind of like NES it will be interesting to check.
Only pc or also mobiles, with wifi multiplayer?
Check my source code editor for GLBasic - link Update: 20.04.2020

erico

Yep, it is a mighty cucumber slice or picles. The ice cream is a bit weird too for similar reasons.
The objects are within a 16x16 size and they all share the same block collision size. If you can stand on a very end of a platform or side of a star, you can avoid an enemy. I have tried adding more enemy types but have failed more than a couple times already so I think I will close the extras up at for a while. Hopefully PC hotseat multiplayer and mobile single player.
I´m still having trouble figuring out a good control, will upload a test soon so anyone can try.

Ian Price

Looks like a lot of fun :)
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

Id love to have the ninja brocolli but it is just not working out :( strive on)

nabz32

Very nice,

great work erico :good:

MrPlow

Hi Guys
Been busy with other stuff for a while, but back now....
This is super!

Love the graphics and the multi player version looks great fun!

Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

erico

Here is a one level try,
3 players, one at arrows +ZX, seconf with joypad and third with wasd+er (which I map on another controller or by virtual pad on android).

I´m particularly interested on win 10 performance as on one super laptop server it worked really bad, about 40 fps.
I´d like to know your opinions on the gameplay.

f1 toggles debug info
f2 toggles array display
f3 restart the game on easy/hard mode
f12 sets level to fall

Sound fx, while some are ok, are just place holders and the splash is out of sync.

There might be more stuff, but that is it for now.
What do you guys think? :)

PS: I´m not sure I said it before, but because of your prime feedback and everyone´s else here, the player is not stuck on landing, he flows "normally" as in mario.
I really think it would be nice to have fall penalties(like on the early videos), but everyone else seems pissed by it, including every single person that lively tried it.
I decided to go with the flow against my will. :(  Let´s see.

MrPlow

Great stuff!

I think the other chefs need coloured hats to tell them apart and maybe also a player number above head when re-generating...

Otherwise you can easily run off the platform into water without knowing.

Also, I thought I made my two burgers but nothing seemed to happen?
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

erico

Yep, colored hat is something on the way.
Regenerating is a chaos and lots of time you regen over an enemy, I thought to control this a bit like holding button and regen only after release or possibly color flash the door according to the player.
This is just one level, one advances level by making a burger and standing on its platform on level end.

The two issues you stated are the most common complained ones, would you think they detract the game too much?

Did you play with a joypad? I had the ability of dropping from the platform turned off for a while because it was too easy to drop off by mistake...later decided to have it back again.

Thanks for reviewing, playing with friends is actually (like anything else) more fun.