The birth of GLbasic...when?¿

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalthink

Hi , sometime I make to my self this question, make about 3 years I join to this Community of Coleagues around the world, and I learn a lot of things, but basically I learn to program... well, make my things, whit another lenguajes was impossible... but the question... the first versión of Glbasic when born?¿, I´m from the seven, but I suppose GLbasic have verision 1,2,3 ... ETC...

erico

By the amount of posts made by this one veeeery old user called Ancient Kitty Hello :P, I think GLB has more then 10 years work into it.

MrTAToad

I found an interview from 2004 (it's in German naturally) : http://www.antonis.de/glbasic/index.htm and one in English : http://hooka.gp2x.de/2802 although it's undated.

There is very little mention of DiNGS Game Basic out there - it mainly resides on possibly dodgy Russian sites...  The DGB was mentioned in passing on the DarkBasic website in 2002, and of course, Gernot also mentions it in https://groups.google.com/group/comp.games.development.programming.misc/tree/browse_frm/month/2002-09/6d09d0ceb872dba7?rnum=221&_done=/group/comp.games.development.programming.misc/browse_frm/month/2002-09?&pli=1

I found it on CNet : http://download.cnet.com/GLBasic-SDK/3000-2212_4-10226683.html (GLBasic V2)

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

Have to take a break from programming every so often!

mentalthink

Corius!!! the link of the v.2 works at today...

I think the logo it´s better now... but the ide it´s very similar  :good: :good:

Thanks for the answers, and the interesting info (Mrtatoad)

hardyx

I know the interview to Gernot some years ago. Very interesting.

TI-994A

Quote from: mentalthink on 2012-Jun-08.. but the question... the first versión of Glbasic when born?¿, I´m from the seven, but I suppose GLbasic have verision 1,2,3 ... ETC...

Although Wikipedia indicates that the first release of GLBasic was version 1.2, it does not provide a timeline. From what I've been able to find, it seems that GLBasic may have had a version 1.0 which was released in 2003. There are two download sites indicating two release dates; 01-10-2003 and 10-01-2003. However, the download link for one mirrors backs to the official GLBasic site for GLBasic v10.202, and the other does not seem to work. These are the sites:

1. Shareware Connection
2. LastDownload

Clearly, the best person to answer this question is the man himself; Gernot Frisch.
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too!

Kitty Hello

Oh. Very hard question. I can't really remember anymore. Did GLBasic v2 exist? Usually I make a new mayor release every year, maybe a bit less.
Take a look at the samples, they have a version and date header :)

mentalthink

Thanks, I donwload the 2.3 or something similar...

About the interview it´s very interesting, my Deustch not it´s too much good yet, but something I undertand...

Thanks to all for the info...

PS: The image of intro now it´s too much better  =D

MrTAToad

V2 works fine with Windows 8 too!

TI-994A

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2012-Jun-09
Oh. Very hard question. I can't really remember anymore. Did GLBasic v2 exist? Usually I make a new mayor release every year, maybe a bit less.
Take a look at the samples, they have a version and date header :)

Hi Gernot! A search though the headers of the sample files shows that the earliest sample was written on 22nd March, 2002, with no indication of the GLBasic version used. The earliest sample which records the version used was written on 22nd July, 2002 with the GLBasic IDE version 1.20612. These are the sample files:

1.  \Samples\3D\Animation\Animation.gbas (no version - 22/3/2002)
2.  \Samples\3D\Islands\Islands.gbas (v1.20612 - 22/7/2002)

So, could GLBasic v1.0 have possibly been launched in early 2002? Did we all just miss GLBasic's landmark 10th anniversary?

Perhaps you could give it an official birthday, allowing your avid fans to mark the day appropriately.

Thanks!
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too!

mentalthink

Hey TI-994A, I think 10th anniversary aniversary can be good idea... if I can help in something... a logo for a T-shirt of something similar, I´m glad to make a logo or picture for add in someplace.

Good Idea!!!  :good: :good:

Minion

Quote from: TI-994A on 2012-Jun-10

2.  \Samples\3D\Islands\Islands.gbas (v1.20612 - 22/7/2002)

At the rate Gernot fixes the bugs its quite possible that v.1.00000 was released on 21/7/2002 !

kanonet

This are 3D examples, but was 3D in V1.0 already? If not V1.0 should be a bit older.
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64