Issue with Kindle Fire and Screen/Mouse Co-ords

Previous topic - Next topic

AlienMenace

Had some time today to play with the Kindle Fire and found an interesting issue. The actual screen resolution is 600x1024 but GETSCREENSIZE returns 600x964. The screen does reserve 20 pixels at the bottom for it's hidden button menu and the graphics are pushed up 20 pixels so the top is cut-off. The strange thing is that the mouse coordinates are off by 40 pixels on the Y axis.

This is from the Kindle Fire Dev FAQ:

"*Note: The device will reserve 20px to display a soft key menu, making the effective portrait resolution 1004px high x 600px wide and the effective landscape resolution 580px high x 1024px wide "

Seems the actual display is 1004 but GLB thinks it is 964 so that seems to account for the offset of 40 pixels in the mouse coordinates.  :noggin:
Apps published: 3

MrTAToad

Probably need to modify the xml setup file thingie :)

I'm surprised it works with a Kindle Fire - I had though Amazon had locked the machine down like Apple does with their products...

AlienMenace

The Fire is actually not locked down at all. USB debugging is enabled by default, side-loading is allowed, and Amazon even provides an ADB driver so GLB installs your apk directly onto the device. But it is still an Android device so trying to get your GLB code to work on it like it works on other platforms is still a very frustrating thing to try to do.

Nathan

How'd you get one so quick?!  What's it like compared with other tablets?

AlienMenace

I pre-ordered it from Best Buy so I was able to pick it up yesterday morning. So far I am fairly impressed although I much prefer my HTC Flyer. The screen is very nice and the UI is easy to navigate. There are little if any customization you can do so it seems live wallpaper and widgets are not supported, in fact I haven't found any way to change the lock screen background yet. The keyboard is cool and supports a list of autotype words across the top as you type. I tried my game on it last night and it got a bit hot which is not something I have run into on any of my other tablets. The power button is in an odd place on the bottom making it easy to accidently put it into sleep mode. It only supports the Amazon store so there is no Marketplace. It has the Tegra-2 dual core 1Ghz which is better than it sounds (i am not a fan of this processor) as it has all the problems and caveats associated with that Cpu that we've run into on the bigger tablets. It has a lot going for it but also a few drawbacks. When you consider the price, it is a good little tablet. Be aware though: no camera, no GPS, no SD card slot

Nathan

Locked down with limited customization and purchases that can only be made on the Amazon store, well at leasts it differeniates it between itself and the many other Android tablets available.

It's almost like they've made an "iPad" rather than a pure Android table that Samsung and HTC have for instance.  But with the Amazon Market place presently only available in the US does that mean it can't be sold worldwide at the moment?!

Yeah the price is amazing, I hope it does well.

MrTAToad