Optimize Tool very cheaper, and extremelly Powerfull

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalthink

http://www.atangeo.com/buyWin2

Yesterday I find this tool, not it's free, but the cost really it's about 26€, it's a poly reducer, extremelly good and easy yo use...

The technology it's use in Daz 3d, I suposse whit the Decimator plugins, and it's awesome...

Yesterday I did a simple test, from 96000 Polys to 20.000 (this can do better if you divide the mesh in parts smartly, and after apply the process)

http://www.atangeo.com/buyWin2

I leave you a couple of images...

I think this comes fine for if anyone buy or download free models, and have a lot of polys, and don't have to much idea, or simply you don't want make a retopology...

PS: I find another OpenSource but not it's too much recomendable*** because you have to know whats means the mathematical concepts, and really I make the same test and crasesh...

*** The good thing it's you can paint over the models, like I do whit BodyPaint, but for free, I suppose not it's too much powerfull but it's the best way for texturing 3d Objects...
http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

Ian Price

You can see the difference, but it's not so great that it wouldn't be useful.

Some nice finds there for 3D artists (of which, I am not one! :P).

Cheers mentalthink :)
I came. I saw. I played.

mentalthink

Jejej, yes Ian here the model not it's too much gamer, but for a charcater, like Daz 3D, can be very usefull, Unity uses this technology... whit another name... The good thing it's the SDK for make the render LOD , but the price?¿... for this I think it's better make 3 or 5 different models...

hardyx

Quote from: Ian Price on 2013-Apr-06
Most of the users will not see the difference with less polygons, but will be more fast for the CPU.
20,000 against 96,000 is a quarter of the original data.

erico

Nice find, I will take a look and I wonder if it can reduce without breaking UV or some more stronger curves or the smooth settings.

The difference is more visible cause of no smooth, they would look the same otherwise, mental did a small reduction.
This could came inhand for scenary objects or static ones.

Great! thanks.

Ian Price

Quote from: hardyx on 2013-Apr-06
Most of the users will not see the difference with less polygons, but will be more fast for the CPU.
20,000 against 96,000 is a quarter of the original data.

What I stated wasn't a criticism. It's also nearly 1/5th of the original number of polys. I am aware of the hit on the GPU and CPU of higher poly models. And once it's textured you probably wouldn't see ANY difference between the lower poly model.
I came. I saw. I played.

mentalthink

About the look very diferent I don't try to put into GLbasic, but now whit the command of the normals, this can be solved... I suppose, sometimes whit a .DXF (autocad file), I try to make the smooth normals and doen'st works...

Tomorrow I will try to make somthing for GLbasic, we look what's happend.

Ian Price

Will the armchair be one of the enemies in your space game? ;) :P
I came. I saw. I played.

mentalthink

bigsofty

Thanks for the link Mentalthink, as most of my work is on mobile platforms, I find that overly complex models are the biggest resource hoggers on the wimpy GPUs that you find in most phones/tablets so this could be a very handy find indeed!  :good:

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

hardyx

What I stated wasn't a criticism. It's also nearly 1/5th of the original number of polys. I am aware of the hit on the GPU and CPU of higher poly models. And once it's textured you probably wouldn't see ANY difference between the lower poly model.
Sorry, I get wrong your sentence. :glare: