Apple iPad!

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/live-from-the-apple-tablet-latest-creation-event

Looks great and GLBasic iPhone apps should run on it without any compatibility problems. Although developers can detect the iPad, extra screen res, extra speed ect. and take advantage of its new hardware. There should be a new xCode build for this I would imagine.

Future looks good for GLBasic and the iPad/iPhone/iPod!  =D
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Ozden79

I also hope that GLBasic will support native IPad with little or no changes at all at code base...

MikeHart

Awesome! I want one.  :enc:

MrTAToad

I wouldn't be surprised if uses the OS from the iPod, rather than MacOS.

Hatonastick

That much?  Hmm guess I wont be getting one.  Will be expensive in our country.  Pretty much anything made in another country is here, due to freight costs and variations in the Australian 'peso' vs the US dollar.  :(

I think I'd rather put the money towards buying an Intel iMac.  Or more board games. :)

Edit:  Just watched the hands-on on Engadget.  Boy is it fast!  However I think that I share the disappointment with others over Apple choosing to go with the iPhone/iPod OS instead of a remodeled OS X -- although the iPod/iPhone OS is designed with touch screens in mind and OS X isn't.  So despite what Steve Jobs says in the presentation it's much less like the Netbooks, which essentially run a 'full' version of Windows, and much closer to just being a really, really big and more powerful iPhone/iPod.  If it had run OS X I would have run out an bought one, as it is I think I'll stick with my iPod.  And to be honest I still prefer real books over digital ones (although I do realise I'm not the sort of person that sort of thing is aimed at) so that side of things doesn't appeal to me either. :D

Edit again:  Of course, I can understand why you iPod/iPhone developer types would be very interested in the iPad taking off too.  It's all good.  :good:

trucidare

All iphone Apps running natively on iPad. Great changes in new SDK, but only application graphicresolution are interesting for glbasic.
MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC

Kitty Hello

I think it will be ARM based like the iPod/iPhone, no? I mean, it can run apps natively.

trucidare

its apples own SoC solution. Apple A4. i Think it dynamicly recompile iphone apps in runtime or uses arm architecture. but cant say because no specs of this processor released.

Wikipedia is fast :D

QuoteThe system on a chip combines the CPU with an integrated graphics processing unit as well as other parts. The main processor is an ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore.[3] The graphics processor design is likely to be a PowerVR SGX series 5 (the SGX545) core, plus a PowerVR VXD for video and audio playback, licensed from Imagination Technologies, which confirmed Apple was a licensee on 18th December 2009.[4] The A4 is capable of running OpenGL ES 2.x applications and possibly OpenGL 3.2 and OpenCL 1.0 applications.
MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC