v quick iPhone app submission question

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnus

Hi, just about to submit my app- I need to get application loader (which I will do tonight since it seems to be bundled with the SDK at a whopping 3Gb+) but do you still have to go through the 'build for distribution' steps in Xcode to set up the binary? I cant see an 'end to end' process in Apples documentation (yet).
Cheers, Shawnus

Ian Price

You can download Application Loader without the SDK - I did, just this week. You do have to build for distribution, and it was a PITA, with numerous failures, but I got there in the end. I submitted my first app on Tuesday.

Applicaton Loader can be downloaded from iTunes Connect - http://itunesconnect.apple.com/apploader/ApplicationLoader_1.3.dmg (MAC).
I came. I saw. I played.

shawnus

good grief- I tried to find the app loader as well- obviously not hard enough! Thanks very much Ian thats a great help. Whats PITA?
Cheers, Shawnus

Kitty Hello

shawnus

Ahh, its all clear now- the App submission process is like eating a piece of flat bread of Mediterranean origin. Ugh! I thought pita bread was Greek?

Kitty Hello

uhm... it's an abbreviation - not a bread.

Ian Price

PITA=Pain In The Ass. And for apple that's an understatement.
I came. I saw. I played.

Dabz

When I submitted Logic Battleships, I used xCode to do it... Basically, I went to Build->Build and archive, then in the Organizer (Window->Organizer), you should see Archived Applications section in the menu to the left, underneath that, there will be a list of your archived apps... When you click the required app, the main organizer pane will show details of your application, as well as a a few buttons to validate, share, or submit your app.

Peasy! :)

EDIT: Though, make sure your signings are correct, otherwise, when you hit 'Submit', it will fail.

Dabz

shawnus

yes that is an option but I thought it was only available with the latest SDK (which I did not really want to download because of the size) but if all else fails I will certainly give it a go- thanks Dabz!

shawnus

blog like update- app loader wont 'recognise my login credentials' on startup & wont give me the opportunity to enter them. I couldnt find the app loader download option in iTunes connect either, so I guess its time to update the SDK and try again at some point. Cue another download-a-thon tonight. What nonsense!

matchy

Now I understand the song "do you want some PITA? yes I want done PITA!" unless pita is something else is Swedish.

The latest version of the Application Loader is 1.4 and it requires your iTunes Connect login details. I mights have to try Dabs way next as I haven't before.

Albert

Uhm. They told me its not pita but fika, and this is an italian word for uhm, happy googling...

Ian Price

QuoteWhen I submitted Logic Battleships, I used xCode to do it... Basically, I went to Build->Build and archive, then in the Organizer (Window->Organizer), you should see Archived Applications section in the menu to the left, underneath that, there will be a list of your archived apps... When you click the required app, the main organizer pane will show details of your application, as well as a a few buttons to validate, share, or submit your app.
Not knowing much about Macs or XCOde, I wasn't even aware of that option. Apple certianly don't tell you about it when submitting via Itunes Connect. They actively encourage Application Loader - espeically for very large files.

Cheers Dabz - I'll have to have a look at that method next time. :)
I came. I saw. I played.

shawnus

All,

Just for info (following an overnight download, which had to be re started once & then a wi fi router reboot followed by an hour of unpacking & file installation which turned my Macbook into a mini fan heater...aargh!) when you upgrade to the latest xcode & fire up your project you will proably be moderately miffed to see a 'base SDK not found' error.

Successfully resisting the urge to throw the Macbook through the window I googled the error & it was a relatively straightforward fix (some project settings need altering) and submittingthe binary via xcode was pretty straightforward after that. The App loader still doesnt work & I still dont have a response from Mr J re my query so I'd personally recommend upgrading xcode to solve any binary upload issues.

Hope the above proves useful to someone! Cheers, Shawnus

Moebius

Every new app I compile in XCode from GLBasic reports "Base SDK not found", and has for some time now...  If you wanted to, you could probably replace the XCode project files within GLB's program files folder with ones altered to use the latest SDK.  It's not a major issue though really...  A few seconds to modify one key...
Endless Loop: n., see Loop, Endless.
Loop, Endless: n., see Endless Loop.
- Random Shack Data Processing Dictionary