load ddd model into iPhone app from server

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnus

Hi - Apologies if this has been answered (I did search the forums but was not sure if this question had been adressed).

I'd like my iPhone app to 'communicate' with my website, the objective being for the user to select and load a 3D (ddd) model from my website into my 3d scene which is on the iPhone.

The reasoning behind this is that I'd like to a) reduce the app load time and b) offer a wider and constantly updated selection of 3D models for users to interact with.

I understand that apps are 'sandboxed' (so the app cant communicate with the iPhone's hard drive (?) but I dont really know the extent of this, or even if this is correct.

Any advice appreciated!

Kind regards, Shawnus

Slydog

On the iPhone (and other platforms), you can read/write to the 'DOCUMENTS' folder, which you can get with this command:
Code (glbasic) Select
path$ = PLATFORMINFO$("DOCUMENTS")
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

Slydog

But I'm not sure if you are able to load 3d models from that location, but can't see why not, unless it is a restriction for some reason.
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

shawnus

Slydog- thanks, thats a great help.

Cheers, Shawnus

Ian Price

Any data can be read from that location, whether it be an image or a model or whatever - the iPhone doesn't know (or care) what the data is - that's for your app to deal with.

I too use -
Code (glbasic) Select
path$ = PLATFORMINFO$("DOCUMENTS") to allow access to save data from my current game, so that i can update high scores and game options. It works flawlessly.

Getting the model/data from your server to that location is something I've not tried myself.
I came. I saw. I played.