[ANDROID] First Impressions

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Hello

maybe it was only the resolution of the screen?

bigsofty

:nw: Impressive stuff!
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Rizla

Dammit - now I need a new phone :D

Congrats guys

BdR

Wow, it would be awesome to have both iphone and android, the big two mobile platforms, run code from a single development environment. :good:

But I'm a bit sceptical.. Are there really no disadvantages to this android native devkit? Isn't the whole purpose of Android that it has a java virtual machine, which will run an android app on any device regardsless of the hardware and cpu. Won't this exclude certain hardware?

XanthorXIII

Quote from: BdR on 2011-Mar-29
Wow, it would be awesome to have both iphone and android, the big two mobile platforms, run code from a single development environment. :good:

But I'm a bit sceptical.. Are there really no disadvantages to this android native devkit? Isn't the whole purpose of Android that it has a java virtual machine, which will run an android app on any device regardsless of the hardware and cpu. Won't this exclude certain hardware?

Yeah mine :P Android 2.1 HTC Hero. I don't care, I will have to get a new phone anyway. I believe for a device to qualify for 2.2 it has to have certain hardware base and if the compiler can build a binary or package that can run on those devices regardless it should be good. Of course you may not have access to certain extensions if the phone makers add extra stuff to their phone.
For this little endeavor I would strongly recommend getting a tablet like the Xoom or Galaxy Tab 8.9 or 10.1 if you can afford it. Android 3.0 which should be backwards with Android 3.0 apps. They have the Nvidia Tegra 2 Processor on them. :)
Owlcat has wise

Kitty Hello

So far the NDK is limimted to ARM progressors. So if you have a homebrew x86 android, it won't work. Who cares, that's 0.1%.

I think many of the big ones did the same. Angry birds for sure.

AlienMenace

Awesome!

Haha,  my wife just got de-pissified at me for buying an iPad2, now looks like I will have to face the music all over again when I go out and buy a Samsung Galaxy. Still not as bad as the time I bought a motorcycle without telling her first... oh, that was a rough 3-4 months let me tell you...  think she stayed with her mom for a few days... hmmm... maybe I should buy another motorcycle instead...  :rant:

Thank guys!
Apps published: 3

matchy

The news of Android support has me go in to a frenzy and now I feel, for development, I need to buy an a cheep (but new) Android 2.2  7' device (with all the quirks) from Hong Kong via eBay!

Any tips there?

Edit: topic branched: http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=6042.0

Kitty Hello

One tip: DONT! Get a real device with 2.2 and do spend 50$ extra for it. It's worth it.

MrTAToad

These people are selling what looks like a pretty decent 2.2 Tablet - I hope to be getting in a few days time :

http://thegadgetshop.tv/sections/90/android_tablet_computers/

Kitty Hello

I got all PLATFORMINFO$ stuff wrapped now (thanks Trucidare a lot again) and graphics are working so far. It seems to not like GRABSPRITE. I'll have to see if it's the back buffer format and might switch to use an intermediate framebuffer instead.

Omadan

Awesome work Gernot And Truc. making this product better and keeping it very much alive is what its all about. You'll surely have more followers.  :nw:
Top Arcade Apps - Best game for mobiles and computers

http://www.toparcadeapps.com

Dabz

Smashing stuff!!! :D

Dabz

BigAnd

Yep, great to hear this is progressing well.

trucidare

i only did some small things.
MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC