Compiling on the Pandora still fails

Previous topic - Next topic

S.O.P.M.

Oh this looks very interesting! In my understanding it would be, at least theoretical, already possible to let GLBasic output a ready-to-use binary with this. But that's not the point here, I know... I think I'll have trouble to do the necessary steps right but I'll give it a try probably. Thank you.
Notebook PC Samsung E372 Core i5 @ 2,6 GHz; 4 GB RAM; Win 7 Home Premium

MrTAToad

Might be worth asking on the Pandora forums to see if someone has written/could write a script for you.

WizardStan

Hi,
someone directed me here from the Pandora forum. :)
I've got a Pandora that I frequently compile on, as well I've got a full cross compiler setup on my desktop.  What is it you need, how can I help?

Kitty Hello

DUDE!!! Zip up the whole compiler dir and host it on rapidshare or so, then send me a PM for that link. It would be really awesome it we could compile on windows then.

Minion

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2011-Mar-08
DUDE!!! Zip up the whole compiler dir and host it on rapidshare or so, then send me a PM for that link. It would be really awesome it we could compile on windows then.

I second that ... I have so much stuff ready to roll out on the pandy, and unable to compile for it !

S.O.P.M.

Quote from: KittyIt would be really awesome it we could compile on windows then.
Absolutely, yes. *thumbs up* But he didn't say he uses this on a windows desktop ;o)

Quote from: WizardStan[...] I've got a Pandora that I frequently compile on, as well I've got a full cross compiler setup on my desktop.  What is it you need, how can I help?
This is what I want to do now and maybe I need help then. It's not that easy for me to get a full working cross compiler installed. First I need to install a Linux distribution but I don't want to destroy my windows system. I have a Knoppix and a XUbuntu Live CD here and first I have to figure out how to install this on my harddisk in a way to have a multiboot machine. And then install the toolchain and SDK properly on it, uuuhh... :/

torpor

Hi!  I am torpor, the author of the following thread:

http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/topic/53964-cross-compiling-is-bollocks-toolchains-are-bollocks-use-your-pandora-to-build-apps/

.. about how to set up a compiler on your Pandora.

I'd like to help you solve the problem so you can use your Pandora to build whatever you want.  Some things need to be cleared up first:

1: There is currently a problem with the latest Hotfix#5 not quite being ready to have the compiler/development environment onboard.  We are currently investigating this issue, and you can keep track of our progress in this thread:

http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/topic/58909-unable-to-install-gcc-and-friends-since-hf5/page__pid__942270__st__0&#entry942270

.. when we figure it out, this thread will be updated with the solution.

In the meantime you *can* revert your firmware back to the earlier Hotfix and use the instructions in the "Cross-compiling is bollocks" thread (see above) to set up a proper build environment.  This method does work - I myself have two Pandoras, one for User testing and one for Development, and my Development Pandora is crammed to the gills with onboard compiler tools, making it a 'normal Linux workstation' for development purposes, and with this configuration I have successfully built quite a few Pandora packages already (PandOricutron, FlipClock, WakeBreaker, xsynth, puredata, and so on..)

So, I will help you get this sorted out so you can build GLBasic.  But first, go back to an earlier firmware (I'm currently using HF#4 on my Dev Pandora, and HF#5 on my User-testing Pandora) and then follow the instructions in the "bollocks" thread above .. let me know how you get on, and I will help all you need.  Also, we can meet in #openpandora in the evenings, European Standard Time (I am in Vienna, Austria) if you want more direct assistance.

S.O.P.M.

What I can tell for sure is that I'm not willing to downgrade my firmware on the Pandora. This may sound ignorant but to be serious, I see no reason why compiling on the Pandora when I can do this on my desktop PC, where it's much faster and with far more memory available. But I would appreciate some help setting up a cross compiler. Today I have installed XUbuntu bootable parallel to Windows. The next step is the really critical one.

S.O.P.M.

Now I need help. As expected the problems begin. I followed exactly this guide to install the toolchain:

http://blogs.distant-earth.com/wp/?p=109

Until it comes to compiling all seemed to work fine. To remember I have running the Linux distribution Ubuntu. While I want to compile the test example from the guide I get the following error:
Code (glbasic) Select
/usr/local/angstrom/arm/libexec/gcc/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/4.3.3/cc1:
error while loading shared libraries: libmpfr.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So the first question is why I have no access to the libraries or they are missing?

The guide says that the toolchain comes with a version of Ångström's package manager opkg. But by trying to use it (because I surely need to install additional packages) I get this error:
Code (glbasic) Select
/usr/local/angstrom/arm/bin/opkg-cl:
error while loading shared libraries: libcurl.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

My Ubuntu distribution seems not to have some essential libraries I assume. It comes with dpkg but this packet manager is different so better not to replace "opkg" by "dpkg" in the command line. The second question is how can I install the missing libraries first? I need to use opkg to add packages to the toolchain, it is pre-configured therefore.

Kitty Hello

Don't bother! I got a compiler set up!!! Wooot!

WizardStan

Congratulations :)
I hope it goes well.  If you have any other problems, feel free to stop into the official (http://boards.openpandora.org/) or unofficial (http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/forum/61-pandora/) forums.  Plenty of good people there always willing to help :)

S.O.P.M.

A nightmare has become a dream! Have replied on the german Pandora board, Gernot. A big thank especially to WizardStan :) All is working fine!