GLBasic V11 - Release & Pricing

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

With GLB V11 currently in beta is there any rough estimate on when it will be released?

I remember a while back that Gernot was toying with the idea of charging for an update. Is this still going to happen?. It's fine with me as I don't mind helping with future development providing the money paid has substantial new features attached and not just bug fixes. To see GLB grow I'm happy to give what ever it takes to see it progress forward.

I did ask a while back but it's worth asking again if a major 3D feature is / will be added to GLB. A 3D particle engine? - Currently it's virtually impossible to do a 3D particle engine in GLB as Z order is a nightmare. I managed to fudge a very basic 3D particle engine in my game Galaxix but so many effects were impossible due to the z order issue and manually sorting particles is a huge fps drag.

So Gernot, can we please have a method of creating 3D particle effects in GLB please please please? - I'll happily pay in private a lump sum to get this ability added to GLB.

spacefractal

Gernot can property doing that from scratch, which minimum would take another year or two to been implement. Instead if we can find a good 2d/3d particle system, that have great compatible, then its might been possible to see it in GLBasic 12 or 13.

You would not wont see that in v11, here GUI implementation have the focus currectly as well get html 5 working as main focus.

So such a particle system wont been happens soon, without you find a library that can been added by your self.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

mentalthink

Hi equal than Qube I like to apport money for the new Version included this... I think don´t pay from 2 or 3 years ago, it´s very nice but perhaps in sometime will be impossible to maintain GLBasic, and I think not it´s just pay only a one time for a software... Autodesk make pay to his clients every year more than 600€ for put a couple of things (literaly "1" and "2") in 3ds Max...

About the 3D particle System I think a good point, or something like Fake, it´s export from a suite 3D, in example for explosions or something like this... you only need, to "capture" where are the ticks, and then put a plane or boxes in this place... If it´s quick or slow... I don´t know...

erico

An extension to our sound system would also come in handy.
I can also afford some set of donation (small quantity), which I should start doing it probably around the end of year, but plan to do it constantly.

BasicMe

For my two cents, I wouldn't mind paying for an upgrade to 11 either.

In addition to supporting Gernot in general, it would make me feel less guilty about making feature requests. :good:

jestermon

Quote from: BasicMe on 2012-Sep-30
I just got 10.xxx  and there's still so much to learn. But if new "users" are "exempted", I'd gladly pay for the upgrade After that too.
Maybe if requests were done on a donation basis, this could help fund most future development. So if you want it - you can help pay for it, and then get a discount on the next release.
My 2.5c

Ian Price

Gernot: take a look here - GM Pricing

Proper site - http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/studio

There's a chart here that details what each version offers and price upgrades for missing elements - http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/studio/free

GLB is obviously waaaaaay too cheap if people find GM at $499 (or $449 on special offer) worth the asking price.

Perhaps it would be worth seeing what they offer that makes that system supposedly worth that much (I know other development suites cost more, but GM hasn't exactly got a great reputation, despite some excellent games.
I came. I saw. I played.

bigsofty

Quote from: BasicMe on 2012-Sep-30

I see no harm, with Gernot adding a PayPal "Donate" button somewhere on the site, for those who may want to use it?

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Wampus

Quote from: Ian Price on 2012-Oct-02
Gernot: take a look here - GM Pricing

Proper site - http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/studio

There's a chart here that details what each version offers and price upgrades for missing elements - http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/studio/free

GLB is obviously waaaaaay too cheap if people find GM at $499 (or $449 on special offer) worth the asking price.

Perhaps it would be worth seeing what they offer that makes that system supposedly worth that much (I know other development suites cost more, but GM hasn't exactly got a great reputation, despite some excellent games.

Hmm. If people find $499 worth the asking price for GM that surprises me. The full Indie version of the Marmalade SDK is that price too but so much more orientated towards professional development.

jestermon

Not everyone can afford to own UR3, I am one of the few that do. Because of the royalty fees, it's not the most used product at the studio, but it has its few releases. Why I mention this, is to portray a standpoint from a different perspective.

I would not think twice about forking out a few thousand for a really really good c++ engine, simply because of its extensibility and speed.
However when it comes GLBasic, I would think 20 times, if I wish to even look at the product, if it were in the $499 bracket.

It is not because of the product itself, but because of the historical "slowness" stigma attached to the Basic language. Now that I - through personal experience - find GLBasic to be superior to many other c++ engines out there, I would easily throw a $200 - $300 that way. Why not $499 ? Well because engines such as Oddity3D, a new upcoming c++ engine has 50 times the power and although dedicated to DX11, it is in the $499 price bracket.  It's all a matter of the tool, it's purpose, and ultimately the user.

I would however write an OGL particle system, and "bribe/donate" with $1000 to have it made as a part of the GLB core - simply for my own ego, if no other reason.

It's all a matter of perspective from the user's side.

PS: GM is (IMO) a plastic toy, and not a real engine. Sure it can make games; but so can Flash.

Ian Price

QuoteHowever when it comes GLBasic, I would think 20 times, if I wish to even look at the product, if it were in the $499 bracket.
I wasn't suggesting that Gernot charge $499 for GLB, or even half that, but the package as it stands, in comparison to GM offers much, much more and can compile to more formats.
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

Gasp, 500$ for a 2d engine that supports some script language?
Only worth if all you wanna do is in the scope of it and nothing more, but I suspect there are better prods even in this line.

jestermon

I wasn't suggesting that Gernot charge $499 for GLB, or even half that, but the package as it stands, in comparison to GM offers much, much more and can compile to more formats.

Ok. point taken.

As a professional visual simulations developer (for corporate clients), I love game engines, and like a fanatic, I may buy up every engine that I consider worth-while. Some people collect stamps or cars. I collect "worth-while" 2D & 3D engines.

But - And a big But . . .
Game engines are being spewed out these days at a dime a dozen, and the engine makers claiming that the user can make the greatest games ever. It's the engine makers that are laughing to the bank, while the poor suckered losers just throw another useless engine out of the window.

(IMO) Products like GM are really great for the hobbyist, but are very, very, very far from the financial and creative value that they claimed to be.

On the other hand GLBasic is under-advertised and under-valued, I thought I was taking a risk with GLBasic, as I did with DarkBasicPro (IMO archaic junk that's still being sold). But to my surprise, GLBasic turned out to be an acorn. There is a whole tree packed into that little nut, and I can bring over 12 years of java/c++ experience to bear on multiple platforms - All inside the GLB shell. Now thats a powerhouse of a bargain if I've ever seen one.  And the more I play with GLB, the more I discover FANTASTIC treasures hidden beneath the surface. - (see all my "thank you" posts").

Asmodean

Quote from: Qube on 2012-Sep-30
So Gernot, can we please have a method of creating 3D particle effects in GLB please please please? - I'll happily pay in private a lump sum to get this ability added to GLB.

How about a bounty? If Gernot is interested in making such an update. Everybody can make a pledge for a 'Particle Effects-Update'.  So Gernot can see just how big the interest is and whether it is worth doing it.

MrTAToad

Dont forget there is one already!