Toshiba Thrive 7"

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatonastick

I recently bought a Toshiba Thrive 7" as I wanted something easier to lug about than my Netbook but which would allow me to do some of the same things -- including Google Docs (now known as Google Drive) as that's where I do all my word processing these days.  So I bought one of these as it was on special.  Nothing amazing, but a half decent Android tablet if you can get it cheap enough.  Certainly a massive upgrade from my clunky old ZTE tablet.  Anyway it got me interested in developing for Android again, but this time around I'd be doing it for me rather than some ethereal idea that I'd come up with some great game and make a fortune -- which quite frankly just led to my becoming disillusioned and doing easier things like play games (SWTOR Im looking at you) rather than make them.

So far hasn't been too hard to get connected to GLB.  Hardest bits were realising that I needed a cable that somehow got left out of the box (not uncommon with this model apparently according to a quick search on Google) -- thankfully I had a spare.  Then I had to get around Window 7's weird file lock situation that seems to happen sometimes even if you have UAC turned off.  Ended up having to update Android SDK in safe mode can you believe.  Then I had to track down working ADB drivers for the device.  For future reference should anyone else pick one of these up get them from: http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/toshiba-thrive-development/4466-drivers-usb-adb-driver-installation-package.html

Just tested an old build of my never-finished-despite-being-years-old Time Pilot wannabe and it ran at a rock solid 60FPS.  Might be the Nvidia Tegra which my old ZTE definitely did not have.

So now that I'm 40, which supposedly means I'm older and wiser (HAHAHAHAHA!), I need to do something that excites the little grey cells before it all turns into mush.  =D
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

Albert

Good luck!

Tapatalk 2-vel küldve az én GT-I9000-ről

erico

I´m doing "a game I want" too, but a very simple one, more work going on the game model other then anything else inside it.
I have to say, finding out a simple nice game 'we' want to make is a bit hard, at least for me, so I relied on a game I did ages ago.
For one thing, it must be a game that falls into my current knowledge and maybe extends it just a little.

Altough I managed to find this one game, the other never ending problem(story) is about motivation.
If I can start it today, work on it everyday till it ends, I can pretty much do it.
If I have to stop to do menial things, like working for money, pay bills, etc, then this time-break really push me down.

Good luck, let us know what you decide. 

Hatonastick

Quote from: erico on 2012-Jun-30
Altough I managed to find this one game, the other never ending problem(story) is about motivation.
If I can start it today, work on it everyday till it ends, I can pretty much do it.
If I have to stop to do menial things, like working for money, pay bills, etc, then this time-break really push me down.
This.  Seriously.  Same issue here mate.  My life is pretty chaotic as we are involved in helping a lot of needy (in many ways) people so there's always something going on.  So often I find that I start out well while I can keep concentrated on it, but as soon as something happens it drifts away into the distance again -- sometimes for months on end thanks to procrastination.  The only programming projects I have ever started and finished were ones that I was able to do from start to finish without anything happening inbetween.  Problem seems to be (at least in my case) the older you get, the harder it becomes to find such distraction-free time. :)

I hope you manage to get your "game that you want" done!

Edit: Wanted to see how 3D went on the device and tried the Shadow demo that comes with GLB.  Causes weirdness though.  The textured donut seems to display the shadow ok for the most part (if you rotate to a certain angle theres two of the red lines instead of one), but there's no moving shadow on the wall and for some reason the sphere lightsource is now a square.  As I said -- weird.  Only thing I can think of is maybe something is messed up because of whatever screen resolution I chose at compile time.  Either that or maybe the difference is related to the fact that this is running Android 3.2 as opposed to 2.2.

Going to look into this tomorrow.  At this point in time I'm seriously considering uninstall Android SDK completely and reinstalling it.  There's still some weirdness with it since I had trouble trying to update it today.
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).