New Puzzle Game WIP

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

Here's a small WIP demo of a new puzzle game I'm working on called PixeLink.

The aim of the game is to link cells with the same number and colour to form a picture.

The game is mouse only. To play just click on a number and draw a line to a cell with the same number and colour. The line does not have to be straight. Going back over the line you've drawn will erase it. To remove a fully placed trail (if it's not correct) hold the left mouse button over the piece.

This game is still very much WIP and has no niceties like title screen, sfx or music. It's likely to have plenty of bugs too - if you spot them and can replicate them, then I'd love to know about them.

The cells are quite small and I'm toying with making them a bit larger (in fact I've done 2 other versions with different size cells (2x and 1.5x), but I keep coming back to this one as I can see the whole picture without scrolling.

The game will be released on pc and Pandora.
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

Looks like a very great idea and something that could been done nicely on a tablet.

You could eventuelly add pinch to zoom and scroll. Then it's would been quite touch friendly.

I'm so know it's not your area. You even could add joystick support too for ouya.

I'm play it when possible.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

S.O.P.M.

So nice! And as always with that cool looking Ian-graphic style :)

[EDIT]

2 things that I noticed: Once a cell is selected I was not able to select another one if I want to cancel trying to find the right path for the current selection. I would like to see two digit numbers centered inside a cell.

Really cool game idea!
Notebook PC Samsung E372 Core i5 @ 2,6 GHz; 4 GB RAM; Win 7 Home Premium

Ian Price

I had centering on the numbers in an old version, but I've re-written the game half a dozen times due to bugs and general maths strangeness. Each time the code got tighter and cleaner as I knew my initial routine was way too complex. It's a small fix :)

There is no graphic style to this yet - just a simple and clean interface nothing more.

As for not being able to select more than one cell (while drawing), yeah - I toyed with the idea of cancelling the current draw if you let go of the mouse button, but I wanted it so that people who aren't great with touch control or mouse input can play - this was a result of my own real work. I'm running a computer course for some of the people I work with (mental health service users) and a lot of them have really bad motion controls. I could use Right mouse button to cancel current draw, but that's not touchscreen friendly for Pandora or tablets etc. Or would you want the ability to draw multiple paths?

It's not my original idea, it's based on a Nintendo DS game called PicPic - though that game was black and white only.

I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

drawing one path is nice. Its does not need multiply path, if you have trouble to get that working (some sort same issues im have with Spot Race).

For Touchfriend, you could internally draw the path wrong to channel the current drawing, or you can checks the path when the user release the finger, so the user need to slide over numbers from start to end. So there is possible with touch part, when you only haft left button.

Alternative, you can allways just add a cancel button to press on eventuelt, which also can replease the second button as well.

Im just thinking this game would been great as a touch game. The nintendo DS version was property used styles. Im have one and should look for the game (im have created music for 3 nintendo ds games in the past).
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

S.O.P.M.

Even the selection of a fontset is part of a style and a simple user interface, and if it's the game board only, is a kind of style for me. And I like yours. Simple but clear and suitable. I like the slight raised-effect of the pieces. Not everybody has a feeling for proper graphics.

Multiple paths, no, not necessary. But canceling, absolutely.

As for canceling, just a click on the root number should undo the selection. Or canceling by choosing another number. This would be not less touchscreen friendly IMO. When drawing paths, either by dragging or clicking the neighbour cell, it should also be possible to click more than only the nearest neighbour. When in reach it could jump several cells over as a straight then.

Yes, I've made similar experiences with my current project. After and after I revised parts of the code, could improve the math and the simplicity. Finally things are quite easy to handle but when it comes to math, I'm really really slow to get it right (pinch-zoom gesture with a borderless map was my latest trip hazard).

Good luck!

spacefractal

Im do play the game soon, its look like its a nice game and like those kind og games and would works excellent mobile games as well :-).

But if you dont plan to do a iOS/Andriod (im could still publish that for you eventuelly), then there is no worry about it at all about touch controls.

its would been nice if the game allready makered all "1", which is pretty none seance in this game. Something that should have been none automatic for speed up the game

S.O.P.M.

This situation shows why a game cannot be continued when not having the ability to cancel paths.

spacefractal

:-), im see.

Im also just playing the game now. The cancel system does works pretty nice and still works with single touch as its area. Just press on a allready drawed path, and its remove. Im like that system.

Howover you do need to add a cancel system for that path, that is currectly drawing to avoid breaks the game (S.O.P.M. is right).

Im thinks clicking on any empty cell that is not possible to go (skipped a cell example) should do cancel it automatic. This is also avoid eventuelly confuction, when im resume the game as well.

Ian Price

Quote from: S.O.P.M. on 2014-Sep-19
This situation shows why a game cannot be continued when not having the ability to cancel paths.
Yep, that's exactly the type of feedback I need. I DEFINITELY want to avoid this. That's why I posted an early WIP.

QuoteAs for canceling, just a click on the root number should undo the selection. Or canceling by choosing another number.

It will be done. :)

Quoteits would been nice if the game allready makered all "1", which is pretty none seance in this game. Something that should have been none automatic for speed up the game.
Your wish is my command - I will add it as standard. I'll probably add it as an option to turn off/on too (for purists) :D

Cheers chaps - I'll fix/add/sort all these issues/suggestions momentarily :)
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

you are fast :-). Im removed that post, but you catch it, so im added it back again. Its was just a idea, hehe.

Yes, this is why you posted this as beta, hehe.

PS. Im did edited it few times. Im do thinks the best metod to cancel it is simply just by clicking on any impossible cell, the path cant go to (but there is many metod to do the same, up to you).

Ian Price

Small update and a new (smaller) puzzle to motivate you to try it! :P

To clear a partial (or just started) path click on a different number. It's not working clicking the start number (at the moment).

All the 1 tiles are now painted from the start - I don't like it myself, as it gives away a bit of the puzzle, but see what you think.

Double digits are now one pixel off-centre. I'll sort it when I next update.
I came. I saw. I played.

Moru

That makes it much easier to play, almost too easy :-)

I haven't managed to get stuck anywhere yet.
Clicking any already drawn path cancels it.
All the coloured "1" gets reset if you accidentally click one of them.

Ian Price

QuoteAll the coloured "1" gets reset if you accidentally click one of them.
Yeah, I noticed earlier, but as it's a test to see if people prefer them painte or unpainted at the start I don't mind at this point. :)

QuoteClicking any already drawn path cancels it.
It's supposed to do that; just in case you've drawn the path incorrectly.

I came. I saw. I played.

Moru

But if you have people that have troubles with aiming, that will be frustrating. Maybe a delayed click, double-click or click-drag?