simple puzzle game WIP

Previous topic - Next topic

Emil

Didn't remove anything. I've been so busy with everything else that I haven't got time to start menu and score/stats screen. Although, it's coming soon hopefully. :)

Great that you like it, thanks!  :good:

erico

Hi Emil, I gave a more extended go.

The puzzles, while only having dots, are a bit easy as you can mind trace the path from the goal to the player.
Things get a bit more complicated this path when other elements are around.

Maybe some bonus to pick up laying around could make it even harder? Maybe one bonus gives you back some tries, or things like that.

I´m marveled on how you coded ´infinite´amount of random-fully-working-levels, that is really awesome.
I take that was the hardest part to code?

Again, excellent results so far, I really dig the graphics, specially the sprites. Very charming.
Maybe the background could use a different approach? Something that could somehow add to the experience?

Emil

Thanks for the extended feedback erico!

regarding the dots.., I'll try to not make this sound as an excuse.., but the early levels (with only dots) were designed to be easy as to have an easy learning curve for people not used to this kind of puzzle games. But you think maybe it's to easy to begin with? I'll think about having bonuses spread around the maps to maybe avoid boredom (especially if it's to easy in the beginning)

Your idea about bonuses giving you more tries is a good one  :good:.., I need to decide whether or not I wan't to have "tries" as such to begin with.

If you want you could contact me on skype if you wan't to know how the random maps thing is done.., I'm thinking of doing some kind of article about it (If there seems to be any interest) so I don't want to explain it here.., I could but I wan't to do it correctly the first time.

And you are right about it being the hardest part.., but mostly because I'm not a programmer by trade.., The idea is simple but the execution has devilish details that make it troublesome (again probably because I'm not that savy a programmer)

Regarding the background.., tips are welcome.., I'm not sure how to make it lively.., tried to make different things but I keep coming back to this one.

erico

About the dots-only, they are fine, and should do perfect for a start-up, they even can get a bit harder if too many, like it takes a while to figure out the optimum path. :good:

On the bonuses and tries, I better explain. By tries, I meant like if you are going to count in how many turns/moves a person can finish a puzzle. Lets suppose a puzzle can optimally be finished in 5 turns, but getting one bonus on a 7 turn path will reduce 3 turns used and so by the end you kind of did in 4 turns. It is a bit fake and works more like 'score'. Just an idea, I´m not that good with puzzle games at all (Ian Price is a master of puzzles, let´s hope he drops by and checks it out :good:).

Skype/hangout talking would be nice, I´m looking foward to checking the article. You can always use a well written article to promote a game after it is released and such subject is sure to interest people. I kind of think it probably has something to do with a path finding routine, but tailored to the game environment.

About the background, I did not think much about it. But everything has a charm to it and I actually though the background could somehow add more to it, not visually as it is fine already, but somehow it could take a role into helping or distracting or something entirely different.

It is hard to think of something unique that would go along the current game design. For example, maybe the last game solved could run shaded on the background and the player´s movement on the background could shift some pieces on the foreground?. It sounds a bit crazy.

Don´t worry too much, it is looking awesome so far and I love the trails. That, together with the random puzzles, is what really got my attention!
Keep it up! That is coming out for android too right?

Emil

Android.., I dunno, hopefully.., I'll start with iphone first since that's what we use in the household :)

if anybody wants to add me on skype my username is emil_meiton, I'm not always online (especially now when I'm taking care of my two kids 24/7) but would be fun when I have time on the evenings :)

erico, I like your ideas.., the last solved game in the background sounds fun.

I said I wasn't going to but here's a gif explaining how the algorithm works, kinda:

it goes through everything on the map adding things randomly and reacts accordingly.., then when finished it adds the goal at the "trickiest" spot.

erico

That gif is marvelous! :good:
I can be found on skype at ericomont.

Emil

Ok, so now I'm having this strange problem

I started using the getspritesize function to be able to dynamically change my spritesizes without having to hardcode it into the game.
The problem is my background sprite would show up blank.
like this:

But if I change my sprite from this:

To this (added a pink "transparancy" pixel in the bottom left corner):

Then it looks kinda alright (except for the fact that there's a "hole" in the corner:

This problem doesn't show up when I skip getscreensize function and does it manually..., strange
Any ideas?

r0ber7

How about adding an alpha layer to the original image, without adding a transparent pixel?

Emil

Can't get it to work.

If I take away getspritesize and instead let the value be 16 then it works. But when debugging the value should be 16 even when I use getspritesize..., this is really weird

erico

Is that bkg sprite a solo file or is in a animsprite?

If it is the former, can you try BMP?
Also, since it dosen´t need alpha, save it as BMP 24bit r8g8b8.
Maybe your function is messing with the alpha channel or the likes.

Try this one:

Emil

Here's a new test on the design side of the graphics. It's just a mockup but I really like it thus far.

mentalthink

HI Emil  I don't look this thread form it's begun... The game are you doing iy's really cool, the first image I see with green spots it's really good, but all I watch about the game it's really really interesting... graphically superb...

I hope see the game in a near time... Regards, and Wellcome I think I don't say nothing never before... Regards
:good:

erico

Hello Emil,

personally I´m more found of the pixel style. But that dosen´t mean the new one is not cool, just different. It might appeal to a different public/taste.

kanonet

Im not such a big fan of pixel art like all those old men around here *wink at erico* :P The old style was nice, new one is cool too (but loks a bit less 'personal'). If both are done completely I see no reason not to include both, so the use can select which one he likes more.
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

erico

Grunf bunf rant grunf! What?? That is no respect with the ancient elders!! I will have a word with your parents! :D  :D

Kanonet has a reason, but since the game is capable of generating infinite levels, you might also consider splitting it into a sequel with a few added features/blocks for a sequel?

Not that I don´t like the new style, no, I like it! But IMHO, I feel it is more of a ´technical´ style.
It may appeal to people into puzzles that want a direct play with it without the character or artistic deeds to distract.
Let me try to explain and my opinion really should not count much:

Primarily, I´m not found of puzzles...but those I´m found, I´m obsessed.
Those, usually carry some sort of art, story and style all together(even if it dosen´t describe it at all), a bit hard to put in english, but it is what first gets me into it.
I can recognize a self pattern, for example, Ian Price´s puzzles like Aquaventura and Hellowian, games like Adventures of LOLO, etc.
I guess Kanonet´s ´less personal´ sentence means the same?

As much a puzzler gets close to an induction of a tell story gender(fantasy, farwest, horror, etc) is what attracts me to try it I guess.

With the powerfull engine you already have, you could try both styles!

I guess youngsters around here *wink at kanonet* :nana: might prefer the more technical approach though!