Running on Linux 2014

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTAToad

You do usually need proper drivers - the default used by Linux usually dont always work well.

HamishTPB

Yeah - this is the proper NVIDIA drivers, going to put this issue to one side for now.  :shit:

As long as things run on the handheld and android targets that's fine for now and I have a windows computer with GLB / JAVA /Android SDK etc installed for the coding/compiling.  :whip:
Hamish The PolarBear
GP2X F-100 :: *Broken* Caanoo :: GNU/Linux :: Android 7" Tablet :: Android 10" Tablet :: Android Phone

Ian Price

Quote from: erico on 2014-May-23
Quote from: HamishTPB on 2014-May-23
...some disheartening chat on the GP2X forums...

Don´t bother that, my game goes fine on Caanoo and therefore probably fine on Pandora, we have both users around here if test is needed.
Some forums have strong fan boys, not worth letting them getting on your plans. :good:

Erm... That "fanboy" was me. And I was speaking as a realist, not as a fanboy. The GP2X machines are excellent, but getting on a bit now and the GP32X.com community has all but disappeared - there are still loyal supporters, but they rarely post on GP32X.com now. Pandora still has really strong support and will continue for another year or so. The Pyra arrives next year (the successor to the Pandora), which *should* be backwards compatible with Pandora and a hell of a lot faster, so that will be a great target.

I love the Caanoo and wouldn't hesitate for a nano-second to recommend it.

I would also recommend coding in GLB for the Caanoo (and the other machines of course, but the Caanoo is the best of the bunch - shame your is borked). Unless you have a Pandora of course (although some games run better on Caanoo than Pandora as the extra screen real-estate slows down rendering).

Anyway, I highly recommend handhelds - they will help you to learn optimising techniques, require less graphical work as the screen are smaller and offer full control of your game, unlike touchscreen only mobile devices. GP2X etc. Users are also far more tolerant of amateur artwork and they understand that the game was created for the love, not the money.
I came. I saw. I played.

HamishTPB

Want to get a Pandora when I can afford one, maybe the second hand market will be a bit cheaper when the Pyra is out. I am supposed to be getting a new board for my caanoo within a couple of weeks from ED  :nw:

I admit my poor wee GP2X will wonder why it isn't getting much love after the caanoo is back :-)

For now back into Nicholas' GLB books and get some work done!

EDIT: Your comments have been greatly received (as have everyone's here and on GP32X.COM) and I think my past experience with 8 and 16 bit computers and the limited resources and resolutions is one of the reasons I am keen to try coding for the handhelds.

Thanks again chaps!
Hamish The PolarBear
GP2X F-100 :: *Broken* Caanoo :: GNU/Linux :: Android 7" Tablet :: Android 10" Tablet :: Android Phone

erico

Haha I diden´t mean you to be a fan boy Ian , :D

It took me a while to read things on other posted forums.
What I actually meant for Fan boy, is pretty much the way it sometimes happen on the pandora forum, you ask for something and get a disheartenning response in return, you offer something or an idea and you get pitch forked. I got my shares of let down there but I really don´t care.

I agree with your views of the gp2x and pandora community and with the path for android.

While I´m targeting desktops and android, I´d like to keep it gp2x and pandora compatible but there will be times and projects that just won´t workout that way.
It would be nice if there was a simple handheld (like the caanoo) with an on going hardware production and a medium community to boot.

Ian Price

QuoteIt would be nice if there was a simple handheld (like the caanoo) with an on going hardware production and a medium community to boot.
Now that would be ace. If only SONY opened up the PS Vita to real homebrew...
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

Quote from: Ian Price on 2014-May-25
Now that would be ace. If only SONY opened up the PS Vita to real homebrew...

Exactly what I thought, Sony and Nintendo are the only players on that market nowadays, would be cool if any or both would actually open up.