iPhone OS 4.0: New License closing doors to GLBasic?

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

LOL, Kuron did I insult you personally? If so I did not mean to?

If you want to flame, knock yourself out,feel free... it will be a single sided argument though.  :-*
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

mykyl66

Its all pretty silly. I have read things like "There will be no exceptions to the rule" apparently from someone in the know to everything is fine and dandy etc.

One thing I can say is that I sent our free version of our app an hour before the update version. The update version sailed through the review and is available on the store. In the meantime the new tos needed signed and I duly signed it and following that the free version went into review and I have been waiting since with no hint of movement.  All sorts of things are going through my mind now... Things I cant discuss on an open forum.

Cheers

Mike

Hark0

Quote from: Ian Price on 2010-Apr-12
CodeMasters developed games for SEGA and Nintendo systems (using their own reverse engineered code) without licences back in the 90s and successfully won court cases against both (brought about by said companies). the case here wouldn't and shouldn't be too different as long as no Apple code was used to develop for the iXXX machines.

hmmm

Maybe Apple wants = Sony (PS platform) = Microsoft (360) = Nintendo.... very CLOSED licenses?

:whistle:
http://litiopixel.blogspot.com
litiopixel.blogspot.com - Desarrollo videojuegos Indie · Pixel-Art · Retroinformática · Electrónica Development Indie Videogames · Pixel-Art · Retrocomputing · Electronic

Ian Price

QuoteMaybe Apple wants = Sony (PS platform) = Microsoft (360) = Nintendo.... very CLOSED licenses?

Just because Apple wants something its way, it doesn't mean its way is legal...
I came. I saw. I played.

Hark0

Quote from: Ian Price on 2010-Apr-12
QuoteMaybe Apple wants = Sony (PS platform) = Microsoft (360) = Nintendo.... very CLOSED licenses?

Just because Apple wants something its way, it doesn't mean its way is legal...

Apple must charge the license and to allow that the people should develope with what wants.
;/
http://litiopixel.blogspot.com
litiopixel.blogspot.com - Desarrollo videojuegos Indie · Pixel-Art · Retroinformática · Electrónica Development Indie Videogames · Pixel-Art · Retrocomputing · Electronic

bigsofty

God, I hope the Pandora is successful!  :D
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Ian Price

QuoteApple must charge the license and to allow that the people should develope with what wants.
Apple don't HAVE to charge licence fees - they make money from the sale of every piece of software that appears on iXXX. They choose to, because they can. And yest this is similar to every console manufacturer ever. But this is NOT what the discussion was/is about. You've missed the point completely.
I came. I saw. I played.

bigsofty

They charge, because they can, no other reason. And if they want to charge more...

Then again you do get the XCode("GCC!" *COUGH*)... :P

Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

mykyl66

Well I have been playing around in xcode and while I could use it... I don't want to. lol. The GameSalad folks seem to be happy enough for now anyway.

http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=5498

Cheers

Mike R

Kuron

Quote from: Moru on 2010-Apr-12He never said he didn't want to buy an iPhone.[/quote
I never said he did, please do not put words in my mouth, capice?

Kuron

Quote from: Moru on 2010-Apr-12Why is this not possible for iPhone when you can compile for all other platforms on windows?
Apple has never said you can't do this.  They have only said you can't do this if you want to sell apps via their app store (ie you want to use them as the distributor and seller of your software).  Do you really expect them to put their reputation online for anybody too lazy to follow the standard practices in Q&A?

Kuron

Quote from: mykyl66 on 2010-Apr-12
Its all pretty silly. I have read things like "There will be no exceptions to the rule" apparently from someone in the know to everything is fine and dandy etc.
I think Steve Jobs was pretty clear, but it has been interesting reading the blogs where people think Steve Jobs doesn't understand things.

Kuron

Quote from: Ian Price on 2010-Apr-12Developers should say a big "F U APPLE" but they won't because many of them are reliant on selling their software via the only "legally" available and route to the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad. Maybe a class action against Apple could be called, using its monopoly against users.
If you choose to use Apple as your distributor/publisher, then you do need to follow their rules.  Even a ditch digger has to follow the rules of the man who is paying him to dig the ditch.

People are too willing to bash Apple, but I have yet to see one of the loud mouths step forward with the millions of dollars needed to invest in the infrastructure to set up an alternative to the App Store.  Of course that would be the easy part, you would actually have to convince developers with hard stats that you can do a better job of distributing and selling their software than Apple can. 

Unlike some companies, Apple has actually set up a distribution/publishing system for the iPhone so that developers can easily get their games on the iPhone, something that indie developers would never be able to afford to do otherwise.  Like any legitimate publisher/distributor, Apple does have quality control since they actually need to be able to sell the Apps they carry.  Unfortunately, those who are not capable of meeting the quality control standards seem to be the most vocal on the blogs and forums.  Big shock, huh?

Kuron

Quote from: Hark0 on 2010-Apr-12Apple must charge the license and to allow that the people should develope with what wants.
They can do this, there is just no guarantee that Apple will invest their time and money in your software and not only distribute it, but sell/publish it in their app store.  Apple is no different than any publisher in this aspect.  They are not going to publish and distribute junk that may not work properly, or that is not marketable due to looks, etc.  I do not think any publisher wants a catalog of Candy Worlds  =D  Publishers have and always will be very picky about what they will accept and represent.

Kuron

Quote from: bigsofty on 2010-Apr-12
LOL, Kuron did I insult you personally? If so I did not mean to?

If you want to flame, knock yourself out,feel free... it will be a single sided argument though.  :-*
What I said should not be taken as a flame, I simply do not agree with your comments ;) 

For proper context keep in mind I detest Apple and do not use Apple products.  However, that doesn't mean I can't agree with them on some things.