Free Tileset that you build yourself

Previous topic - Next topic

spicypixel

I came up with the idea of creating some tiles with bases and tops with the idea developers could use them to build more unique tilesets for their games. I have submitted what I've done so far and would be interested to hear your thoughts on my idea. If anyone wants to use these in their present state feel free. I do plan to work on more slopes, bases and other bits n pieces, for example I plan to do an alpha drop shadow variant for the middle top pieces so you will have choice of both. If you have any ideas or input that would be great.  :good:

http://www.spicypixel.net | http://www.facebook.com/SpicyPixel.NET

Comps Owned - ZX.81, ZX.48K, ZX.128K+2, Vic20, C64, Atari-ST, A500.600.1200, PC, Apple Mini-Mac.

matchy

May I note generally that one of the problems as a programmer for tile-maps is creating enough or obtaining originals. Something I have tried and I like the idea of run-time generated tile-set images so that colour and styling can be changed allowing for unlimited variations from a base design parameters. A simple example would be to have gray tiles so that colours can be applied. The shrubs and pyramids can have a different shape that another set.

spicypixel

I wasn't really considering them being generated at run-time (but good idea) I was considering them being edited in a paint package with grid snap on (@64 pixels with present tileset) this way the programmer can assemble precisely what tiles they require. The tiles currently use a 256 palette which is easy enough to amend but again your idea of making them grey-scale is cool too and something I should consider.
http://www.spicypixel.net | http://www.facebook.com/SpicyPixel.NET

Comps Owned - ZX.81, ZX.48K, ZX.128K+2, Vic20, C64, Atari-ST, A500.600.1200, PC, Apple Mini-Mac.

erico

Yep, the B&W is a really great idea.
I might have to consider that too! ;/

By such approach, I can see how the grass top could be a snow top just a color change for example.

Nice Gfx there spicypixel!

Ian Price

I'd planned greyscale dinos for DinoDefense and make them PolyVectors so that each dino could be a different colour. However, I have to wait for my Pandora to arrive so I can test it's feasible (ie it doesn't reduce FPS).
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

I understand that way you plan to ´tint´your gfx inside the code? Could this strike performance on a noticeable way on handhelds?

Slydog

Ideally, you'd have dynamic tileset creation code, that takes source bitmaps, plus other parameters like colouring, position of grass on top (or vines underneath), etc and it would create a new bitmap in memory coloured and laid out how you want.  Then you use this new bitmap for your level.  I assume using SPRITE2MEM would be the easiest method.

Each level could create its own tileset configuration (using the same base input bitmaps) to add some variety, without designing each level's graphics by hand.  Or throw in some randomization for a true dynamic feel.

The base graphics could have both coloured sections and grey scale sections, or mixed in the same tile.  If the source graphic has colour, copy those pixels directly, if they are grey scale, then apply the custom colour overlay.  If you need grey pixels in the final output, just make sure the source is off by a shade such as (120,120,121).

[Edit] This way you don't have the problem mentioned by erico, as the shading is only done before the level starts and not per frame.  It shouldn't be a problem even if it takes a second or two to create the final bitmap.

[Edit2] You could take this one step further and separate the tile shape and the source graphics.  Have a graphics file that just has basic textures of various sizes and styles such as simple dirt, grass, water, etc.  This file has no tile shapes at all.  Then have a template file that only has the shape of the tiles (and no textures), based on its grey scale.  A mid-colour of 128,128,128 in the template would copy the texture bitmap pixel for pixel.  Any colour lighter than the mid-colour would apply a hi-light of the source texture colour and brighten it, and dark ones to darken it.  That way you could have shading in your template file and use any textures to fill the template.  Alpha values in the template would copy directly to the final bitmap.  I suppose any colouring in the template could shade the texture that colour, or directly replace the texture colour.  I hope I explained that clearly.
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]