Voxel - Visibility

Previous topic - Next topic

Slydog

Looking great!  :good:

I see now you are drawing each visible face of each cube each frame? 
Wouldn't this cause major performance issues? 
Opposite of a chunking system where you are trying to minimize the number of objects rendered.
I think before you were creating the chunk model prior to the main game loop, and only displaying that one chunk object each frame.

And, I think you can simplify your Render() function down to this code:
Code (glbasic) Select
FUNCTION Render:
X_MOVEMENT -CHUNKSIZE/2-CUBESIZE/2, -CHUNKSIZE/2-CUBESIZE/2, -CHUNKSIZE/2-CUBESIZE/2
X_PUSHMATRIX
FOR x = 1 TO CHUNKSIZE
FOR y = 1 TO CHUNKSIZE
FOR z = 1 TO CHUNKSIZE
IF self.cubes[x][y][z].bin = 0 THEN CONTINUE

ALIAS bin AS self.cubes[x][y][z].bin
X_MOVEMENT x, y, z

IF bAND(bin, CUBE_TOP)    > 0 THEN X_DRAWOBJ FACE_TOP, 0 // Draw TOP
IF bAND(bin, CUBE_BOTTOM) > 0 THEN X_DRAWOBJ FACE_BOTTOM, 0 // Draw BOTTOM
IF bAND(bin, CUBE_FRONT)  > 0 THEN X_DRAWOBJ FACE_FRONT, 0 // Draw FRONT
IF bAND(bin, CUBE_BACK)   > 0 THEN X_DRAWOBJ FACE_BACK, 0 // Draw BACK
IF bAND(bin, CUBE_RIGHT)  > 0 THEN X_DRAWOBJ FACE_RIGHT, 0 // Draw RIGHT
IF bAND(bin, CUBE_LEFT)   > 0 THEN X_DRAWOBJ FACE_LEFT, 0 // Draw LEFT

NEXT
NEXT
NEXT
X_POPMATRIX
ENDFUNCTION

But, I love it so far!  Great screenshot.
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

Schranz0r

hmm i thinks its OK if we use frustrum culling, but the big question here is: HOW! :D
:S
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

erico

Uau! A Borg Assimilation Cube! Great!

Some faces look flipped, is that correct? (maybe my eyes are tricking me)

Schranz0r

the faces are right!!!111one :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

mentalthink

Joder!!! :noggin: this it's really interesting... I think if multiply the cubes a lot of times then you can do another Zbrush , I suppose the CPU will begin to launch flames but for try it  =D =D =D

Out of jokes, but this for make nice games with another style can be a good ppoint for start... a nice thing will be explode any cube in some cube more littles...

Thanks to both for the work... about the Fustrum I leave in someplace I don't know where is, how do all fustrum, chunks, water , physics... a lot of things... I try to search again...

Thanks for the hard work!!!  :booze: :booze:

Slydog

I had fun with this for the past day or so (using my code as a base (but stole an idea or two from Schranz0r!). I found a few bugs in my original code postings - oops!).

Only exposed faces are added to the mesh, as expected.

I added an automatic chunking mechanism.
This means that a 16,16,16 map with a chunk size of 8,8,8 will generate 2x2x2 (eight) chunk meshes.
This reduced my 16x16x16 map generation from 10seconds to 1second!.
It seems the more triangles in a mesh, the longer it takes for GLBasic (or OpenGL) to generate and finalize the mesh.
Same total triangles, but as 1 mesh took 10+seconds, but as 8 different meshes, takes just over a second, total.

I included the project files as a zip, instead of posting each file (4 files) contents.
I tried commenting the main Voxel TYPE as best I could, so hopefully it is easy to follow and understand.

To Do:
- Perlin Noise Generator for MineCraft style landscapes
- UpdateVoxel(x,y,z, cubeType) -> To allow dynamic voxel editing.  Will regenerate the affected chunk(s)
- Interface to delete or add a new voxel to the map, and display the new map
- Texture Map: Use an external texture map tool to design the voxel textures, allow multiple voxel types (dirt, grass), auto map the textures to the model

Hark0

Great work!

What is the limit of cube size?

http://litiopixel.blogspot.com
litiopixel.blogspot.com - Desarrollo videojuegos Indie · Pixel-Art · Retroinformática · Electrónica Development Indie Videogames · Pixel-Art · Retrocomputing · Electronic

erico

Gave a go, looks and moves about great. :good:

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

Schranz0r

OK... complete rewrite of the code, rendering in realtime with OpenGL (gl.gbas)
Texturemapping added.
More improvements incomming!  :whip:

4x4x4_chunks.png is a screenshot of a "World" with 4x4x4 Chunks each chunk = 16x16x16

Source see attachment!
Anyone interested to make a Minecraftstyle game?!

PC:

Ian Price

While I'm no fan of Minecraft, I love to see things like this being done with GLB.

Keep up the excellent work chaps :)
I came. I saw. I played.

Hark0

I'm thinking in "voxatron"....  :P
http://litiopixel.blogspot.com
litiopixel.blogspot.com - Desarrollo videojuegos Indie · Pixel-Art · Retroinformática · Electrónica Development Indie Videogames · Pixel-Art · Retrocomputing · Electronic

Schranz0r

PC:

mentalthink

Like Erico says this things are absolutely awesome... again I do the same question, this it's the same techique for do a Zbrush or a Voxel Modeler... I think in a Voxel Modeler you using millions at the same time, this it's possible in GLbasic, I think Using OpenGl, can't be too much problem?¿...

Slydog

I was going to stop updating this, as I have no immediate use for it, but doing this is too much fun.

Here's my latest update, which includes a Perlin Noise generator, to create a MineCraft-ish landscape.
I use this to create a height map: anything below is dirt, anything above is air.
(MineCraft's algorithm is much more complex, with random caves, with minerals, etc).

It is much faster this way than completely random dirt/air cubes, as there are a lot less exposed faces.
I simply used a random shade of green for the top (grass), and a random brown for the dirt sides.

The main line that gets the perlin height is this:
Code (glbasic) Select
//x#, y#, maxHeight#, frequency#, amplitude#, persistance#, octaves%
height = noise.GetRandomHeight(x,z, 1, 0.1, 1, 0.15, 3)

I don't know much about the specific perlin input values, but I found that frequency seems to make it spaced out more, and lower looks better.

Here's the site I derived this Perlin Noise TYPE from:
http://ploobs.com.br/?p=1742

I attached a screeny and the source project.  Have fun.