[kickstarter] the untold history of Japanese game developers

Previous topic - Next topic

BdR

Since we're all into game development here, I though this might be interesting. Someone over at hardcoregaming101 is doing a Kickstarter for a book about Japanese game developers.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1748556728/the-untold-history-of-japanese-game-developers

It's the first kickstarter I'm backing, hopefully it will reach the goal and I'll get the digital copy. :) I though I'd post it here because judging by kicktraq it looks like it might be a close call to reach the goal.
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1748556728/the-untold-history-of-japanese-game-developers/

cheers,
Bas

mentalthink

I think this can be very interesting for the Retro-MSX in Spain a lot of people love the Japanesse Konami, Sega and all this Companies in my Country... I really don't play too much to japanese game, I think the only one "Contra" in amstrad called gryzor, and green beret (someone sure)...

Thanks for the Info...  to FB.

I know in UK someone are doing a book about Ocean ... I loved this people, the best of the best in 80's but I don't ear more news about this book. :(

Ian Price

That looks very interesting - especially since pretty much every game we play nowadays was originally inspired by those Japanese games of yesteryear. If funds weren't quite so tight I'd definitely buy a paper copy.

As for the Ocean book, it's KickStarter was successful and it's due in August - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/47744432/the-history-of-ocean-software-by-retro-fusion

I really wish I'd backed that Ocean one now. Sadly I had (and still have) too many other priorities to pay for :(
I came. I saw. I played.

BdR

If you can't back it, at least repost it on facebook or on other forums, because it sounds like a pretty cool project. :) spread the word

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

mentalthink

Thanks Ian I try to buy it, for me Imagine and Ocean, and some Spaninsh was the Best, US Gold, I don't understand how whit all the money they have the quality was very poor

***Ian I go to put a very cool youtube video in Offtopic section about Ocean, I look the weekend and it's incredible cool and Nostalgic...

Ian Price

I'd already seen it, but it's a really insightful look at the software and development market of the time. Ocean certainly ruled the waves at one point.
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

I really wish this hits the goal, I can´t back anything this next couple months though :(

Japonese old games are my preferable dishes...I do hunt for translations of old games and so on.
Really love that work, pixel art and music they did back at 80s, I´d wish things would be that way today at least a bit.

I will help spread the word, but it is hard to find people that are interested on this subject.
Again, great work, I hope I can get a digital copy later on.

BdR

I also hope it hits the goal. As of yet though, the stats on kicktraq.com are not looking too good.. :doubt:

Ian Price

KickStarter projects always pick up at the end if the going is good; backers are generally wary at the start, but grow more confident as the funds come in. It's got nearly half its funding with over 3weeks to go. It should make it. :)
I came. I saw. I played.

mentalthink

Bdr don't worry too much for the money now, I pay in Spain for a ebook about a game of 80's and in the last week, the money arrives to the top, and in this date fault more than the half for make possible the crowfunding...

Always in the last days the people put more money.

I speak about the book in the RetroForum I'm registered and I look some people very interested... the fact it's in Spain, I don't know the reason the MSX have a lot of Scene... and was a very minoritarie Computer in 80's like C64.

erico

Brasil has a strong culture on msx, people even did create unique hardware for it.
Bad part is, apart from me, I don´t have many friends that value this kind of stuff enough :(

...time to change my circle of friends! :P

mentalthink

Don't think here it's different Erico, but here it's for the forums, and the 80's decade, here a lot of people only play to the old goods times, and the AAA games don't like them too much.

I'm sure in your coutry you have some RetroForum,... In youtube I look a lot of people Braizilian whit Arduino and Raspberry and this guys only want sparkles and integrated Circuits...

I know MSX arrives to Sud-America but very late, problems whit frontiers and marketing, whit another name... BUt I think really the only 3 or 4 places around the World whit a very huge market was UK, USA, Japan and Deutschland, basically in this places the common people have more money than another places... in Spain Commodore was really really extrange computer.

erico

Correct, the frontier problems at the time made it arrive here late, we also had no commodore 64.
Mostly 80´s computers here were rebranded brazilian versions, some even illegal. Ridiculously, It was also illegal to import anything at that time.

Nowadays, just retro people and fans. We also never had much of a software development, while in spain, people created some excellent msx games.
After the war was really nice at the time, and so the amiga version too.

I´m not sure msx had much of space in the USA though.

MrTAToad

Gernot should do one about the history of GLBasic!