Bought my first handheld games machine in almost 10 years today.

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatonastick

My previous was a Nintendo Color Gameboy.  I've spent a bit of time over the past 5 years trying to find it after somehow misplacing it in a box in the shed after we moved.  I think it might be gone.  Pity, the version of Zelda I had for that was brilliant.

Anyway, I just bought a Nintendo DSi.  If I'd waited 2 weeks I could have got one of the 3D ones, but that doesn't really appeal to me.  I'd love something like the Pandora as I could make my own (hahahahahahaha!  yeah... right :)), but I'm not big on ordering electronics online from overseas thanks to my less than stellar 'luck' when it comes to brand new electronics products malfunctioning. 

Grabbed Art Academy, Dragon Quest IX and (the one I'm interested in the most) WarioWare DIY.  I know it's severely limited to short mini-games, but that's half the fun. :)

Any games for it that come highly recommended?  My taste in games is pretty broad.  Having a brief look at the list of games on Metacritic I'm guessing there's not much in the way of turn-based strategy (decent ones that is) and certainly nothing like XCom (I see Jagged Alliance, but a) doesn't sound like it reviewed well and b) I don't think you can buy it here).  Just found out you can get Plants vs Zombies on it, so that will be yet another system I have that game for. :)
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

Kitty Hello

I always wanted to have "Animal Crossing", but the DSi belongs to my kid and it's hard to get hold on it ;)

I had a quick play with New Super Mario Bros and it was much easier than the Wii version.

Ian Price

There are literally hundreds of games for the DS that are worth a punt. You mentioned that you liked Zelda, in that case the first game you've GOT TO get is Legend Of Zelda: Phantom Hour Glass. It's the best handheld Zelda game (Spirit Tracks is good, but not as good and it's much easier). I warn you though that it is played entirely with the touchscreen and that might take some getting used to. To me it works brilliantly.

Anuimal Crossing is a fantastic non-game game. There's no traditional game in it's beautifully formed land, but it's engrossing. I've spent years playing it and still go back regularly. Every time you play something new happens.

I love puzzle games (in case you hadn't noticed), so I recommend Picross and Picross 3D

For strategy (turn based) I'd recommend Advance Wars (the first one) and Fire Emblem.

others I highly recommend include:-

Metroid Prime Pinball
Professor Layton
Zoo Keeper
Castlevania: (pretty much any DS one)
Mario Kart DS
Mario & Luigi (all 3 are excellent RPGs)
Puzzle quest

With all of those, you'll neve need to buy another game! Years of entertainment in little tiny packages. =D

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my 3DS - it's in the post, so hopefully it'll arrive either today or tomorrow. I've received 4 games already - PilotWings Resort, Ghost Recon, Samurai warriors and Nintendogs&Cats - Retriever.
I came. I saw. I played.

codegit

I pick up my Nintendo 3DS tomorrow. With Pilotwings and street fighter.  :enc:
------------------------------------------
1 X Acer TravelMate 4270, laptop, XP PRO
1 X Dell Studio 17 laptop, Windows 7
1 X MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 9400M
2 X iTouch
1 X HTC Desire (Android 2.1)
iPad soon to be added

Ian Price

If I didn't already have StreetFighter IV on XBox360 that would probably be in my hands now too. =D

I plan to pick up RidgeRacer tomorrow as I have a voucher that is itching to be redeemd...
I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

Ian Price

Tesco are selling 3DS for £175 (you have to buy a game at the same time to get this price though).

QuoteI'm really curious how the 3D will work.
As for the 3D, yeah I can't wait either - it's not the games I'm really interested in tbh, but the 3D. If it was just a DS2 I wouldn't bother just yet.
I came. I saw. I played.

ampos

check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE

Ian Price

QuoteHere you have a clear explanation, in perfetct spanish  :nana:
GoogleTranslate does an awesome job :)

Anyway, I know how the 3D works, I just want to actually experience it for myself.
I came. I saw. I played.

Hatonastick

Well I don't think you'll be disappointed.  I haven't seen it myself, but I have talked to two people who had a chance to demo it yesterday because their store will be selling it, and both were impressed (and no it wasn't sales talk, I know both of the people in question).  Made me seriously consider waiting (for almost a few seconds), but really 3D isn't such a big thing for me.  Of course, I may change my mind once my nephew, niece and their step brother upgrade to the 3D one. ;)

erico

when it comes to handhelds I will just have to stick with my atari linx.
...It would be nice if I had back my XENOPHOBE that I once lent to never return...

Hatonastick

I had one of those, don't remember what happened to it.  That was a neat games machine for its time.  Friend of mine owned 4 of them, we used to go around his 'store' and play 4 player games on them.  Mind you his 'store' was a lot of fun too.  It was an arcade. ;)

I really miss the arcade boom of the 80's sometimes, even if I did burn through a lot of 20c pieces during that decade. :)

erico

Quote from: Hatonastick on 2011-Mar-24
I really miss the arcade boom of the 80's sometimes, even if I did burn through a lot of 20c pieces during that decade. :)

me too, the excitement of stepping into an arcade and checking new machines released was great.
Now, even here in sao paulo, which is a big cities, arcades are rarely seen...
There was this ancient arcade (Lords) close by that closed it's doors couple months ago, quite sad,
they even had a RYGAR machine in there...

edit:.. just stumbled into this:
http://www.maharagallery.org.nz/MoreThanACraze/exhibition.php

Ian Price

I really miss the arcades of the 80s. Anything resembling an arcade now is full of fruit machines and coin-pushers - rarely a videogame in sight :(
I came. I saw. I played.

Ian Price

Just picked up my 3DS. I'll turn it on after a cuppa. If you don't hear from me again, then you know it's that good! :P

=D
I came. I saw. I played.