Mac Crossover

Previous topic - Next topic

aonyn

Hi All,

I am curious if anyone here has tried to get GLBasic to run on a Mac using Crossover.
If so, were you successful and how did you get it to work.

I tried this evening, and it installs, but it crashes when trying to run at the splash screen.
I am hoping to get this working.

BTW - in case someone does not know Crossover, but uses Wine - Crossover is just a commercially supported build of wine for Mac. So wine advice may also apply.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. -Ephesians 2:8-9

Dabz

I use VMWare, with a shared folder, write and test in the Windows VM, compile the xCode project in OSX.

Would be great to lose the extra OS layer though!

Dabz

trucidare

MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC

aonyn

Hi trucidare,

Yes, I am looking forward to your IDE, and I am sure it will be better than wine, I just want wine for now until yours is ready.

BTW, I apologize I have not had time working on buttons for you, but if you PM me a list of exactly which buttons you need, I can now finally continue.

I bought a new home about the last time you heard from me, and relocated almost 400 miles away from where I used to live. So I am sure you can understand I have been very busy.

regards,
Dave
For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. -Ephesians 2:8-9

Qube

I have GLBasic v9.x (the latest version) successfully working in CrossOver Professional 10  :good:

Well, I say successfully but I can't get it to compile for iOS as it comes up saying the iPhone is depreciated or something like that. However, it works great enough to develop on. It has very good 2D & 3D speed too. When I have more time I'll have a look deeper into whats going on with iOS compile, but it may be something that can not be fixed. No big issue though as I can always fire up Parallels when I want to compile for iOS.

Anyhow.. How did I get it to work? (to this stage). Something around these lines (might not need all of them though).... Create an empty XP Bottle, install (all into the one bottle, not new ones) - core fonts, MS C++ redistributable 2005 and 2008 & IE 7 (all available from the software list). Then lastly I installed GLBasic. I did have to choose the location of where it stores it's documents pretty quickly as for some reason that window kept shutting off (the choosing of a folder on the first run of GLB).

I then made a couple of adjustments to GLB and the Bottle to get rid of the damn ugly fonts it (CrossOver / Wine) uses by default. All in all, quite impressed with CrossOver 10 and GLBasic for what I need at the moment as it means I don't always need the extra OS layer via parallels.

aonyn

Hi Qube,

Thank you very much for explaining how you set it up.
I followed your instructions, and GLBasic is working  :)

I did notice the same quirks you mentioned.
On the first run when GLBasic asks where to store files, I did not even have time to see the window.
I missed it the first time and had to rerun the program, and just hit the return key as soon as it flashed up on the screen.
Also, as you mentioned, the default font was terrible, not even usable.
I changed the font in GLB's settings, and it looks great now.
I wrote a quick hello world test, and compiled and it ran as expected.

Now I need to try compiling for iphone, that is my main motivation for having GLB on the Mac, so I hope I can get that to work.

Thanks for your help.  :booze:

regards,
Dave

Alex_R

I'm a Mac user and I have installed GlBasic on my Mac running with CrossOver. But I experienced strange problems so I recommend to use Parallels. GlBasic runs fine on it!!

Yodaman Jer

Apologies for the bump, everyone...

I'm about to buy an iMac in the next month or two, and I just want to clarify this before I get my hopes up, but can I run Windows 7 in Parallels, develop a 2D/3D game for Mac OS X in it, compile it to Mac and have it run on Mac OS X? It sounds like I could, but I just really want to make sure before I get my hopes up.  :good:
Click the pic to go to my development blog!

Ian Price

Yes you can (I run Windows XP in Paralleles and have compiled for OSX in the past) :)
I came. I saw. I played.

Yodaman Jer

Awesome!  :D

One of my personal goals in life is to try and increase the amount of games available for Mac.  I might only get one or two full games developed for it, but at least it'll be one or two more!  :good:

There's no Mac version of the IDE/comiler yet though, is there? Unless the one previously mentioned in this thread is done?
Click the pic to go to my development blog!

pat

Anyone tried to install Android SDK into Crossover? I cannot startup the SDK Manager.

r0ber7

Quote from: Qube on 2011-Feb-23
I have GLBasic v9.x (the latest version) successfully working in CrossOver Professional 10  :good:
[...]
How did I get it to work? (to this stage). Something around these lines (might not need all of them though).... Create an empty XP Bottle, install (all into the one bottle, not new ones) - core fonts, MS C++ redistributable 2005 and 2008 & IE 7 (all available from the software list). Then lastly I installed GLBasic. I did have to choose the location of where it stores it's documents pretty quickly as for some reason that window kept shutting off (the choosing of a folder on the first run of GLB).

I then made a couple of adjustments to GLB and the Bottle to get rid of the damn ugly fonts it (CrossOver / Wine) uses by default. All in all, quite impressed with CrossOver 10 and GLBasic for what I need at the moment as it means I don't always need the extra OS layer via parallels.

Using GLB14 in combination with CrossOver 13.0.1 worked fine with compiling the example projects. I added Core Fonts too.

The MS C++ 2010 install detected a newer version, so I canceled it.

Installed WinRAR in the bottle, and used it to install the Mac platform from http://www.glbasic.com/platform/v14/

I can compile my level editor and game for Win32, Crossover is pretty good!  :good:

mentalthink

When I had my macmini (RIP  :D) I bought Paralel-Desktops, I think is the best Virtualization for Mac... Is exactly the same like Windows.
Now In Linux I use VMware Player is free, and runs fine GLBasic in 3D too, the problem the machine sometimes is freeze (I think is I'm using a 12 years old CPU).

r0ber7

I can't get Mac compile to work. It throws an error immediately, saying "Create process failed". Anyone have an idea what that's about? I'm thinking something about the bottle not being allowed to create processes or something.  :doubt:

It's not a big deal, I can still compile for Windows, but it would be nice.  :P

r0ber7

I wish debug mode would work though. If I try to compile debug mode I get this:

Code (glbasic) Select

compiling:
*** FATAL ERROR - Please post this output in the forum
Elapsed: 62.5 sec. Time: 14:35
Build: 0 succeeded.

So it's really difficult for me right now to fix array OOB errors and so on.  :doubt:

I don't understand what the problem is. Anyone have an idea?