Isometric look code

Previous topic - Next topic

Slydog

Ha, this is so well done I was about to ask how you enabled the wire-frame view in 3d mode!   :-[

Looking amazing, keep it up, can't wait to see how far this will go!
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

Albert

MrTAToad

That is good - does it use your GUI system ?

Albert

Nope. But seems similar, maybe this is IMGUI too.

MrTAToad

Hatonastick

The android version runs pretty well on my Toshiba tablet.  Hovers around 40fps which isn't too bad considering this is only a mid-range tablet.  Looks pretty darn good too.  Now we just need someone to use this in a game. :)

I have to ask though.  Am I the only one (on my PC as well as Android) who gets a strange almost shrink/expand effect when you spin the scene around?  It also doesn't quite look right from some angles.  Would this have anything to do with the fact that both screens in use are widescreen, or is this due to something akin to the fish-eye effect?
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

erico

I too, get a strange perspective effect when seeing things front-wise.
The bottom part seems smaller then the back part, which in normal 3d perspective, should be the opposite, while on the orthogonal view, it should be perfect parallel.

I first though my eyes were playing a joke to the point I had to use a ruler :P on screen to check.

But it sure does not detract in anything this amazing engine.

Hatonastick

For sure!  It's absolutely brilliant!
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

Wampus

It seems many people will see a scene as having a smaller front end than what is behind. A couple of people have mentioned this to me. We're all accustomed to seeing 3D perspective with depth correction I guess. :)

Albert

Now It's working on HTML5 too: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/292449/html5/Iso/isometricdemo.html
Strange fact that I had to remove DRAWLINE from the IMGUI codebase to run properly (There was 4 lines in the window's title). Drawline is too slow stuff?

erico

Great!

I get a few few black lines when angles are short. Works perfect, just like the other one fish html you compiled. :good:

CptnRoughnight

That's great! works nicely on my Pandora!

halycon

What is the math for rotating an isometric view? Trying to do something similar in  w/C++ and SFML 2.0 but I only end up rotating my texture with respect to the plane of the screen.

Wampus

Roughly speaking its all Sine and Cosine co-ord rotation for working out the dimensions and angle of a single block and then drawn in strips from back to front using the calculations for the one block multiplied to work out how far up/down, left/right to place whatever block is being drawn.

If I was to do this again with a mind to making a possible game engine I would have made the code simpler to understand and use.

erico

I just re-tested the html code and when I change debug render mode to the other options, the debug window screams "skiping loop frame - too slow" for pages and freezes.
Did something web browser related change? I´m running updated Chrome on win 7 64b N.

abs.