Picture Loading Support

Previous topic - Next topic

geekpeter

i asked in a previous thread for help when some greyscale jpg/png picture formats were crashing glbasic instantly with no hope for trapping/recovery, i suppose im asking if theres any chance in the future of there being better support for loading pictures/sprites so that glbasic does not crash or that we can somehow trap/deal with the error.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDI5SDTIMsg

heres a quick link to 1 of my personal learning projects for glbasic, seeing if i could create more than just a game (i'm also ofc making a game as well but wanted to try more variety), an attempt at something a tad more serious, so atm it reads news from the BBC News site, again tho the only thing stopping something like this is the rare chance it reads a thumbnail/picture and just bombs immediatly.  Same applies to a comic reader i made, which works just fine but crashes amazingly often due to the qty of greyscaled pictures.

I understand its not an issue for media purpose made to our apps, and this only affects people attempting to load/use media that are beyond our control and we cannot enforce the correct picture/sprite format.

bigsofty

How long ago did you have this problem, JPG problems were address quite a while back and its been stable for a long while now? Do you have an example image that crashes your GLB executable?
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

fuzzy70

Quote from: bigsofty on 2013-Aug-06
How long ago did you have this problem, JPG problems were address quite a while back and its been stable for a long while now? Do you have an example image that crashes your GLB executable?

Bigsofty, I recall being one of the people that discovered what was causing the crashes & if I remember correctly it was grey-scale jpg's were the problem. I'm not at home at the moment so digging out geekpeter's original post is not an option now but i'm pretty sure that if you save a grey-scale image as a jpg (in photoshop/gimp whatever) it just dumps you out of your running program.

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

geekpeter

Quote from: fuzzy70 on 2013-Aug-06
Quote from: bigsofty on 2013-Aug-06

Bigsofty, I recall being one of the people that discovered what was causing the crashes & if I remember correctly it was grey-scale jpg's were the problem. I'm not at home at the moment so digging out geekpeter's original post is not an option now but i'm pretty sure that if you save a grey-scale image as a jpg (in photoshop/gimp whatever) it just dumps you out of your running program.

Lee

yeah greyscales were the issue, ive had something similar with PNG files as well, if not for these issues glbasic would be perfectly viable for far more than game creation, ive had to halt progress on some ideas/apps ive made just because of the crashes when i have no control of the format of the source media when downloaded from online sources.

http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=9220.msg78945#msg78945
linked previous post on my issue, i think several posts down i link a cartoon/manga thumbnail that is greyscale jpg and is only 1 of many that crash glbasic.