LUA 5.2 wrapper

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemlos

Hi this is interesting, first i heard of LUA  :whistle:

Can you tell  me if i got this right....you use LUA to make an image, by typing in commands REALTIME?
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

Falstaff

Lua is a scripting language, so that means you can have compiled code that reads in other (non compiled) Lua code and execute it. So after your game is packaged and delivered it can still read in new code and do things with it.

Some people might use scripting languages for things like scripting events/sequences in RPG's, and others may find it useful for adding 'modding' support to their game/engine.

fuzzy70

World of Warcraft is a good example of a game which makes major use of LUA, anything from simple money trackers to completely different UI's, combat/class tools etc.

In fact the entire UI is LUA based & can be laid out however you want with as much or as little info you want. A quick search on Google for world of Warcraft addons will show you exactly how much you can tailor the game for yourself.

The non LUA code just deals with gfx/sound/input/net engine ;-)

Lee

Sent from my GT-I5700 using Tapatalk 2
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

erico

Like Arexx uh? =D

GraFX2 supports lua too, probably on the filter/extension part of it.

Hatonastick

There's a long list of commercial games that use LUA for scripting.  Even a few on consoles.  I once considered using it for an old, old project of my own.
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

MrTAToad

It is a pretty good scripting language - would be good to get it working for all platforms!

Hatonastick

I agree.  I was looking at updating my own script language for my latest project but after having had a brief look at this I think I might go with LUA again.  Just depends on whether we can get GLB and LUA to interface properly.  What I would really want is for it to work under Windows and Android -- but not sure it could be done with Android (Hmm? http://www.badlogicgames.com/wordpress/?p=943).

Still, in my case at least, it's a lot of work for something that wont be used anywhere near its potential.  So maybe I'd be better off converting my old little script/macro language from C to GLB instead...
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

MrTAToad

And if you want to make said code available, that would also be useful!