Does any one remember SPACE HAWKS on the CPC?

Previous topic - Next topic

BdR

Quote from: Ian Price on 2013-Jul-28
TBH Space Hawks was jut a Galaxian clone. Gameplay improvement wise you could add new enemies, attack waves, power-ups and maybe a boss or two. Obviously the graphics could be improved and smoothed and the sound could be redone from scratch. But doing all of that would make it a new game entirely...
I don't know Space Hawks, but if it's a Galaxian clone then you can improve it by making it more like Galaxian :P

Seriously, play the MAME version, or the NES port is pretty good too, and see how the Galaxians swoop down with gracefully smooth (sinus?) patterns. The trick is to cross their path as they attack, that is; when they swoop from left to right, you should move from right to left passing underneath them and shoot. You get extra points for shooting them in mid-air and this is a very subtle risk-reward system, which makes Galaxian such a great game.

The "swoop down" algorithm is pretty subtle but I think it can be done using bézier curves. If you can get that to work nicely you've got half of the game done.

Brick Redux

Quote from: erico on 2013-Jul-30
That looks great Brick! Ain´t the ship a bit too big? But really beautifull none the less!
Are you checking collisions by numbers or by using some commands?

I thought you wanted more blocky gfx, I really like what I see.

The ´fodder´ idea is great! Adds up an extra object to avoid.

My invaders idea can´t be destroyed, they all fall as indestructible carcasses and so produces a rain to be avoided. That together with an unlimited spray of bullets is what I plan.

Keep it up, and keep us posted, did you check beam rider?

Cheers erico.  Yep the ship is little too big, was trying to match the size of the original one.   Blocky - smooth graphics, not sure at the mo.

Why dont you make you invader fodder or bullets fall at different speeds to increase the challenge.  Please post an image of you game here too, would like to see it.

Ive checked out Beamrider (not come across it before) its a unique game.
A mournful owner of a HP HDX18 Laptop that has died...FECK!

Brick Redux

Quote from: BdR on 2013-Jul-30
Quote from: Ian Price on 2013-Jul-28
TBH Space Hawks was jut a Galaxian clone. Gameplay improvement wise you could add new enemies, attack waves, power-ups and maybe a boss or two. Obviously the graphics could be improved and smoothed and the sound could be redone from scratch. But doing all of that would make it a new game entirely...
The "swoop down" algorithm is pretty subtle but I think it can be done using bézier curves. If you can get that to work nicely you've got half of the game done.

Heres a small and simple example:

ang=1;x=0;y=0

WHILE TRUE

PRINT " @@",x,y-10;PRINT "@@@@",x,y;PRINT "@@@@",x,y+10;PRINT "@  @",x,y+20

INC x,5*SIN(ang);INC y,0.5

INC ang,1

IF y>440

x=0;y=0;ang=1

ENDIF

SHOWSCREEN

WEND

BdR

Quote from: Brick Redux on 2013-Jul-30
Heres a small and simple example:
It isn't *just* a sinus wave. The path of the aliens is also influenced by the player position, and also sometimes they do a small looping and go back upwards a bit. So it's a little more complicated..

erico

Hello Brick, there is no game yet, just idea. I better finish the current one before I start another. :-[
The graphics are the ones on this thread, there is a bit of the idea there too.
http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=9021.0

I like your gfx the blocky way, no smooth. But that is personal taste. I wonder what other people think.

Brick Redux

The more you try out your ideas with GLBasic - even more ideas spring up resulting in new projects.

I might post the Hawk graphics from the CPC game here - can you do your magic with them?  Ive took on board what you said about the ship being too big and made amends - thanx.  So, any help there from you will be included in the game erico.

My code is a re-write of something from my old laptop where the GFX were blocky - and they actually worked out well.

I`m tempted to add my rewrite of the invader game on that thread you visited.

erico

Quote from: Brick Redux on 2013-Jul-31
The more you try out your ideas with GLBasic - even more ideas spring up resulting in new projects.

Totally! I have to agree!

I have no magik ;/ but sprites are always great to look at and wonder.
I saw what you meant by proportions to the original, I checked it and the original is quite a large ship! Changing sizes changes gameplay I guess. I never had a chance to even see a cpc in action but you tube way. :(

I enjoy blocky gfx, sometimes I wonder if doing a game on 160x120 or similar woulden´t be cool. :-[

Best keep your game here on its own thread me thinks... more cool opinions from mates around.

Do you have the original sprite sheet? I can try to give a go but can´t promise much on it as the usual free time is horribly short juggling through things and long unfinished stuff :( But it is always good to check it out.

The game idead so far is great!

Brick Redux

Heres the original Hawk sprites in all there glory :) (Minus the fodder sprites.)

They used the CPC`s Mode 0 display which made the pixels stretch horizontally - hence the reason they look blocky.

Have fun.

erico

I´m starting to enjoy CPC, seems somehow similar to zx pectrum and some-more-how similar to an MSX.
I found this article here:
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Speccy_Port

Gives a good idea of mode 0 with its fixed 16 colors (160x200).

The art style in the original game is somehow strange, more kind of math then fantasy.
But one of the monsters there (the 3rd left to right) does have a resemblance to the 3rd enemies on moon cresta.

Really nice, I will give a shot on them in a few days trying to keep the resolution or the aspect ratio and use the mode 0 pallet.
Again, I can´t promisse much Brick, it is my will to do so but life has a way to come around sometimes.

Dad´s birthday monday so I should be a way for a while (only mobile) but it sounds like a good challenge to produce CPC mode 0 sprites.! :)
Don´t hold anything for my attempt, I will let you know here how it goes.

Brick Redux

Hi Erico.

The game was one of the first released for the system and I feel it followed along the lines of blocky looking invaders, although they where multicoloured - which was nice for the time.

It was a great little machine, check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRvwYtEFnNs

The UTUBE clip is alittle sluggish in displaying the real fPS of the game :)

Good fun with the graphics, Im starting to think they have to be small anyway.  My current build has sprites that swoop and swarm like an Amiga game aka insectoids 2.  Anyone remember that?

mentalthink

:nw: :nw: Buff Brick Redux, I think this port from Arcade it's the best in all systems... This game was absolutely a bomb!!! (searching server... Ivan J Barna  :D :D ), I think it's one of the best games for CPC...

Brick Redux do You know the last demo of Batman Vuelve Group?¿... this guys are from Sevilla Spain... when they put the Demo for first time, all the people thinked the machine was an Amiga...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJosZfm560Q&list=PL4EB270F6050DD146

Really the CPC was and it's a very very good machine, and his Basic was the most powerfull in 8 bits, and better than PC

Another awesome game...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjxNTO92Da8

Really in UK Imagine and Ocean made fantastics games... here in Spain was a very good times too. :-*

Ian Price

Gryzor was certainly one of my faves on CPC (as well as Renegade - ported by the same team as Gryzor). Both games took advantage of the extra RAM if you had it (thankfully I did) and offered all the levels in one go (rather than multi-load) and additional music in Gryzor.

Another great CPC game was Sorcery+ 

It looks pretty simple nowadays, but it was a great challenge.
I came. I saw. I played.

Brick Redux

Quote from: mentalthink on 2013-Aug-05
:nw: :nw: Buff Brick Redux, I think this port from Arcade it's the best in all systems... This game was absolutely a bomb!!! (searching server... Ivan J Barna  :D :D ), I think it's one of the best games for CPC...

Brick Redux do You know the last demo of Batman Vuelve Group?¿... this guys are from Sevilla Spain... when they put the Demo for first time, all the people thinked the machine was an Amiga...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJosZfm560Q&list=PL4EB270F6050DD146

Really the CPC was and it's a very very good machine, and his Basic was the most powerfull in 8 bits, and better than PC

Another awesome game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjxNTO92Da8

Really in UK Imagine and Ocean made fantastics games... here in Spain was a very good times too. :-*

Yep, Ive seen that demo before - its brilliant.

Gryzor came out on the CPC just as programmers where realising the machines true abilities. (Instead of doing quick and easy ports from other systems)  Savage was a bold looking game, Gauntlet to me was best looking on the amstrad, Turrican was a "no-one thought that could be done type game".

Do you have any links/websites to these guys in Spain as they deserve a good old pat on the back.

Brick Redux

Quote from: Ian Price on 2013-Aug-05
Gryzor was certainly one of my faves on CPC (as well as Renegade - ported by the same team as Gryzor). Both games took advantage of the extra RAM if you had it (thankfully I did) and offered all the levels in one go (rather than multi-load) and additional music in Gryzor.

Another great CPC game was Sorcery+ 

It looks pretty simple nowadays, but it was a great challenge.

Renegade had wicked graphics (best of any conversion) and brilliant music.  I completed the original Sorcery and found the plus version alittle to difficult.

Ian Price

I did a remake of Sorcery Plus many years ago in PlayBASIC (see attachment) - I never did get around to updating all the graphics as planned. I might get around to doing this again in GLB at some point so that it's smoother and faster.  CONTROLS are CURSORS and LEFT CTRL to pick up/fire/start etc.

[EDIT] You might have to run the .EXE twice and it might come up with a missing Lib error, but it works. :/

I still think that the CPC version of Renegade is not only the best port of the arcade game, but actually better than the arcade game! A true MUST HAVE CPC game.

Gauntlet I, II and Deeper Dungeons were excellent on CPC. The same cannot be said about Gauntlet III...
I came. I saw. I played.