Question for WebOS apps

Previous topic - Next topic

ggindlesperger

For those of you that submitted apps for Webos to their App Store, did you have to support the pixi resolution? I thought I read that they wanted the app to support both. I would rather not have to worry about supporting the 2 resolutions.

I did not get a chance the other evening to mess with the WebOS and MP3s not playing so I plan on doing that tonight. Only some seem to be playing for me. They all work on iOS, but not Palm.

Thanks in advance
Gary

Ian Price

From my personal experience, it looks like GLBasic apps don't work for Pixi anyway. I've got some very negative reviews as a result of not noticing the Pixi option in the submission process.

Best not go there without some thorough testing (some WebOS forumites/users appear to be not very nice!), especially since GLB doesn't support the Pixi res anyway. iPhone envy, methinks! ;) :P
I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

I'll be making sure that Spots is a Palm Pre 2.  And when they moan that its not available for 1.4.5, I'll say that they will have to buy me several to test on :)

Have you seen the price of the original Pre ?  They hold their value well  :'(

Ian Price

Yeah, I can't believe how much these things go far, even in this country, where the Pre isn't promoted in any way, shape of form that I've ever seen. The devices seem to advertise themselves.
I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

And the 1.4.5 isn't supposed to be that good either :)

I've submitted Spots for the beta testing (Pre 2 only and over-clocking warning too), so it'll be interesting to see what feedback (if any) I get...

Aww - its been rejected...  Probably because I changed the company name...  No, it got rejected by the App Type Mismatch message :/

ampos

Quote from: Ian Price on 2011-Apr-15
From my personal experience, it looks like GLBasic apps don't work for Pixi anyway. I've got some very negative reviews as a result of not noticing the Pixi option in the submission process.

Best not go there without some thorough testing (some WebOS forumites/users appear to be not very nice!), especially since GLB doesn't support the Pixi res anyway. iPhone envy, methinks! ;) :P

LOL, I uploaded my free version of GLOWING SKY for WebOS, and in 2 days I found 1600 downloads and 16 reviews. I thought "wooaah". But then the reviews were all complaining about it not working on Pixi. I set up by error as Pixi on the app submision webpage. They complaint alot about it even for a free app! amazing! And no one just sent me an email saying "do you know your apps does not work for Pixi?". Sooo many morons...

I resubmitted the app with a text for Pixi users and a new version compiled for Pixi. I hope it works.

HP will take his time to review them...

Also, I can not comment in the app, it always return an error. If someone can try to download Glowing Sky Free for WebOS and place a comment saying "Author said me a special Pixi version has been sent to HP"...
check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE

Crivens

QuoteIf someone can try to download Glowing Sky Free for WebOS and place a comment saying "Author said me a special Pixi version has been sent to HP"
Will do tonight.

Quotein 2 days I found 1600 downloads and 16 reviews
Really? Wow that's pretty good. Best I got was about 150 downloads in a day on a free version. Did you do any advertising or get a review going on a site or anything? If not then stupid sliding cat games don't cut the mustard :) Will have to get a free version of that bikini game going... Can you tell how many were pixi BTW? My new game should work on any resolution so I could almost go into that blind assuming I don't have unforeseen problems like I did on my Touchpad.

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

Ian Price

Pixi owners are pretty venomous aren't they!

Expecting anyone to email problems is absolute folly. Why email the author when the user can rub the programmer's face in a problem publicly? After all, the user took the time to download the FREE app in the first place. They are entitled.

:(
I came. I saw. I played.

Crivens

With a name like Pixi and the cute dimensions and resolutions etc, and considering the reactions then are all the users 15 year old schoolgirls named Britney? Hmm, possible cashcow...

Out of interest if we handle the resolution ourselves (set resolution to 9998x9999 for example) and  handle the graphics accordingly, then will it just work on the Pixi if it works on the Pre(2)? I'm obviously not taking into account CPU/GPU etc speed or anything there (but no-one here has yet made Quake X so I wouldn't worry too much) but has anyone tried it? Obviously the Touchpad is not working currently (hopefully soon with that potential new app craving market!) but the Pixi would be a pretty good untapped market surely?

Cheers

Ian Price

Possible Pixi cashcow is one of the reasons I got a Pixi (and sent one to Gernot too).

I've got a Pixi game up and running - I really should upload it at some point soon. I've not tried it on PRe/Pre2 though. I'll try it out and let you know.

be aware, the Pixi is a much slower machine than the Pre/Pre2, so make sure that you don;t have too much going on, or it'll slow down significantly.

As for TouchPad, classic Pre/Pre2 apps made with GLB work very well on it, albeit with some scaling graphical differences.

All my games are available on TouchPad - B'lox!, B'lox! Free, CodeCrack and Ken2X and they work brilliantly.
I came. I saw. I played.

Crivens

Cool. What sort of userbase numbers are we talking about? Especially interesting if younger market (putting on my scumbag rip off the kids mask) with knowledge of their own store passwords...

How can you tell if it's a Pixi in code? My game for example runs fine on iOS devices, even a 400mhz 2G Touch (pixi is 600mhz isn't it?), so should be good.

Classic Pre/Pre2 apps? I tried porting over to the Touchpad and it totally stuffed me up. I tried the 9998x9999 resolution for scaling, and then the native resolution in the project settings. Both gave me a weird squished look that has half way (ish) down and across the screen. The touchscreen seemed a little off on X/Y coords, plus the accelerometer thingy seemed quite a bit different to iOS/Pre2 (kept detecting left or left a lot on the X axis, no right).

Cheers

Crivens

Oh and I tried my slider game which isn't tuned for different resolutions (is 3GS resolution only and always will be without major changes) and it just appears with a little corner showing on the screen. One menu item even repeated the screen many times to fill up the whole screen like when Windows uses the tile option for wallpaper. Weird...

This is all in portrait mode BTW. Haven't tried landscape.

Cheers

Marmor

pixi user are girls or women i bet ... :offtopic:

Ian Price

I meant my games from the App Catalog, not natively for TouchPad - that doesn't work. However Gernot is supposed to be getting his TP today - hopefully he'll figure it all out and it'll be "HD" apps all the way! :)

Pixi marketshare is still good (it's still available new on contract in the US). So put something out and see.

If you want, I can test on Pixi for you. Just send me the .IPK file and I'll QuickInstall it and give it a try.

And yes, i suspect most Pixi owners are indeed female.
I came. I saw. I played.

Crivens

How does that work? Is it accessing the existing pre app database? Not sure how you go about that on a touchpad.

Ok will send you the ipk once it's ready. Should be soon but have to goto Dubai soon on business which annoyingly gets in the way a bit :(

Cheers