Request: Setting background color

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeHart

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2010-Feb-15
You're right. It totally sucks.
I'll make an optional parameter for the clear colour of BLACKSCREEN in a next update, OK?

Thanks. Does BlackScreen  combine DrawRect and UseASBMP or does it do a ClearColor 0,0,0?

Ian Price

QuoteTry on a slow netbook as I do, and you will see.

Surely every GLBasic program is crap on a netbook? From my experience it is anyway.
I came. I saw. I played.

FutureCow

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2010-Feb-15
You're right. It totally sucks.
I'll make an optional parameter for the clear colour of BLACKSCREEN in a next update, OK?

I'd suggest keeping the language intuitive - if you can add an optional colour then make it a new command like CLEARSCREEN or something. A command with the name "BLACK" in it should not do other colours or else the language becomes confusing.

Ian Price

Quote from: Ocean on 2010-Feb-15
Quote from: Ian Price on 2010-Feb-15
Surely every GLBasic program is crap on a netbook? From my experience it is anyway.

That's a teaser I can't resist.... ;)

My project is developed for an Atom based board, that's why I develop and/or test/validate on a netbook which happens to have a similar configuration.
There's a bit of 3D going on (one or two objects only) the rest is 2D.  The app shows real time measurement data in a graphical form.  For this type of application, 60 fps is fast enough, the graphics hardware won't  display more than that anyway...
It really works flawlessly; I get my required number of fps and can still reduce processor load to significantly below 10%, so there is still room for future application enhancements.  The acquisition of measurement data is off-loaded to the second core by using Gernot's thread libraray, which for now I only use to handle serial communications.  There's some other use for that thread library in the wings though...

Ocean

TBH I've only tested one program - which worked flawlessly on lesser machines (including Wiz and GP2X), so I couldn't understand why it was crap on a several types of netbooks (including a variety of supposedly shit-hot Samsungs (N110 - N130 or whatever they were)). I really should try my GLBasic games on my son's netbook and see how they perform, as other games work pretty well.

As for the CLEARSCREEN issue - another command would indeed be favourable, if required, rather than BLACKSCREEN.
I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

Oh dear. Never touch anything ...

Changing the colour is no problem. It basically just does glClearColor.
But, if I change the name, the old code will no longer be valid. I could make a compiler warning "deprecated, use ... instead".
CLEARSCREEN might be the better name - even for the black screen.

MikeHart

Why not just leave BLACKSCREEN in and add CLEARSCREEN? If that's not possible then I vote for CLEARSCREEN.

Ian Price

CLEARSCREEN RGB(R,G,B) FTW.
I came. I saw. I played.

Quentin

CLEARSCREEN sounds good. I never used BLACKSCREEN :)

Moru

Since GLBasic does a fresh black screen on every frame I haven't realy seen a use for it except when playing around with lots of USEASBMP. CLEARSCREEN(rgb()) would be nice.

Kitty Hello

ok, it's clearscreen. And I leave blackscreen for compatibility a few releases still.

FutureCow

Woo! I named a GLBasic command!!!  :enc:
:P

Quentin

Great, here's your medal :))

[attachment deleted by admin]

FutureCow

Kitty Hello

Schranz0r

I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard