Another one bites the dust - so sad.

Previous topic - Next topic

jestermon

It really is sad when I throw another promising game engine into the dustbin.

I have pushed GLBasic to its limits, and found it to be the most advanced and amazing BASIC language game engine available on the market today - compared to ALL of them. It has features that put it on par with any 2D game makers available. But that's where it ends.

As far as 3D goes, the engine is really limited, and sadly falls very short of being of any commercial use. It's great for a few demos and a little indie games. Even DarkBasic Pro, an old engine using old technology, leaves GLBasic eating dust, when it comes to 3D.

What really made me sad, is when I read up about bone based animation, and what the plans were - Gernot's attitude to questions on this topic were - "If you want that, then go somewhere else, you won't get it here, because I'm busy with more important things.".. I've misquoted, but there are too many similar posts of this type to quote them all.

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2008-May-06
See, there's no easy way to implement bones in GLBasic. It's quite some work, and I'm really busy ATM with other stuff. Maybe one day I find the time to implement it. But don't take that as an "OK, tomorrow".
If you can't live with things as they are, you have to switch.

Would be a shame if it's because of this silly thing.

As I said, sad... But then Unity does what I need for the 3D multi-platform stuff. I'll leave the 2D stuff to the "garage programmers" to play with. I've moved GLBasic to the virtual machine where programs like DXStudio, DarkBasicPro, Blitz3D, and all the other "failed" 3D toys live. I paid for them, and its tough to really delete "wasted money".

Yes it really is a shame - because of this "silly" (but crucial) thing.

This post will probably be deleted as bad publicity, but that's ok, I've said what I wanted to say, and posted a copy to my forum.

http://3dfoundry.net/forum/index.php?topic=267.msg2072#msg2072

matchy

The most dumb post I've read for ages. This guy registered less than three months ago. Don't feed the politics troll!  :rant:

Wampus

Concerning multiplatform development Unity as ideal for decent small/indie 3D games and GLBasic for 2D seems a sensible appraisal of what's out there tbh. I doubt that will be a controversial view here. I would agree with it. The thing that's likely to annoy people is the "garage programmers" comment, as if that is something bad. All of us are "garage programmers" when our projects aren't produced by a large well-funded team.  ;)

jestermon

Quote from: Wampus on 2012-Nov-21
Concerning multiplatform development Unity as ideal for decent small/indie 3D games and GLBasic for 2D seems a sensible appraisal of what's out there tbh. I doubt that will be a controversial view here. I would agree with it. The thing that's likely to annoy people is the "garage programmers" comment, as if that is something bad. All of us are "garage programmers" when our projects aren't produced by a large well-funded team.  ;)

No harm meant by "garage programmers". I used to be one too. It's a generic term for an idie developer. Heck even Steve Jobs used to be a "garage techie" (That's where Apple was born). Great things come from garages, and the title has no shame in it. If folks feel offended by it, they don't know what it means -  their problem.

Quote from: matchy on 2012-Nov-21
The most dumb post I've read for ages. This guy registered less than three months ago. Don't feed the politics troll!  :rant:

This "guy" is a "girl" with a $40m company sharing a little disappointment in a product that could have been used for a cross platform development pipeline, if it met the criteria. 3 months is enough for any decent developer to know if a product is viable for their use or not. I even posted a few simple little "toy" programs to the showroom, to share some of the stuff that came from "playing" with GLBasic - such as a sqlite database dll with a GLB wrapper. Yes moguls also play.
*yawn*

Ian Price

GLBasic isn't the be all and end all for everyone. No one language is. For most people it does what they need it to do, obviously in your case it doesn't, which is fair enough. Many of us have moved from one language to another - I've paid for at least 10 in the last 15 years before finally moving to GLB, as it does what I need it to at the moment.

I wish you luck in finding that one language, however if I owned a $40 million pound company I don't think I'd worry about the small costs of the languages you've purchased or moan about lacking features or even move them to a place where I wouldn't delete them because "I've paid for them." I'd probably just hire someone to write a language tailored to my own needs. But each to their own.

Finding that something doesn't quite meet your needs is always a shame, but that's the way of the world - nothing ever quite reaches our hopes/expectations.

Anyway, I'd wish you luck, but with a £40 million company you obviously don't need it, but I will bid you a fond farewell and please do let us know which language you settle on - maybe we'll all meet again on that language's forum :)
I came. I saw. I played.

Hemlos

If you have the pieces of your bones, just use entity system Gernot made.
I made a bone based helicopter (unreleased) as proof of concept for myself(garage guy)
It took less than hour to work out.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O