APE - A 3d particle engine for GLBasic.

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemlos

APE A particle engine, a 3d particle system lib for GLBasic.

This lib was last updated in january 2013.
This lib is released 11/26/2013.
Happy Thanksgiving, happy holidays!

-Neil

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

bigsofty

Very nice demo, smooth, I'm getting about 280fps.  :good:

The only problem is that I am getting an App Crash on exit.

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

Hi Hemlos, some feedback:

-Everything goes on 60fps as expected.
-When close to the clouds, the snowy ones, some has borders alpha fade to the background, it does not consider the other clouds behind, some consider the floor.
-inside of the blue ball is really cool!
-app crashed on exit (esc) here, tried twice.

Good going!

Hemlos

Quote from: bigsofty on 2012-Dec-11
Very nice demo, smooth, I'm getting about 280fps.  :good:

The only problem is that I am getting an App Crash on exit.

Awesome

I wonder why it is crashing?

Hemlos

Quote from: erico on 2012-Dec-11
Hi Hemlos, some feedback:

-Everything goes on 60fps as expected.
-When close to the clouds, the snowy ones, some has borders alpha fade to the background, it does not consider the other clouds behind, some consider the floor.
-inside of the blue ball is really cool!
-app crashed on exit (esc) here, tried twice.

Good going!

Itll go faster if you force off the vysnc in your video card settings on your computer.

Wonder why it is crashing?
I use older hardware to test this, with no crashes. 2ghz cpu with 1 gig ram.

The clouds are Z fighting, which is expected.

kanonet

Yeah that crash was on both test versions that you gave me too. Always expected an Array problem, but when you said it does not happen on your machine, it must be something else.
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

Hemlos

Ok i did find a couple sneaky globals lingering around, got rid of those.
I uploaded the fixed version.

As last resort, If that still crashes, i will do a sub on exit with arrays wiped next.

Everyone please get the new download from my site and re-test it, report crashes.

kanonet

Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

erico

Hemlos

Thanks for testing guys, really appreciate it!
Bugs founds were more serious than i originally thought.
All in all, this is good, i am converting the lib into a TYPE object which will be easier to code.

before you had to make a bunch of emmiters just for one explosion.
after im done you will be able to define an array of emitters, to group them up.

somethign like this:

Code (glbasic) Select
GLOBAL Explosion[] as lib_APE_Object_
DIM Explosion[3] //fire smoke and shrapnel
Explosion[0].Create(stuffstuffstuff)
Explosion[1].Create(stuffstuffstuff)
Explosio[2].Create(stuffstuffstuff)

then you can make a few emitters in the explosion array, and can show the emitter group all in the same location with a for loop:

Code (glbasic) Select
for i = 0 to 2
  Explosion[i].show(x,y,z)  //show all the explosions at this xyz location
next

Does this sound better? maybe theres a better way to set this up? Advice here is welcome while im revamping.

Hemlos

If you guys wouldnt mind, i need this program tested bare bones with only one particle being drawn.

Need test for crash.

Its here, uploaded to forum:

fuzzy70

Just tried your version just posted (V2) & no problems with any crash. I moved around both forwards & backwards to the imposed limits for about 10 mins no problems & no crash on exit.

Avg 190 fps on a AMD II P320 Laptop with Radeon 4250 gfx, Win 7 x64 & 6gb RAM.

Went on your site to download your earlier version to check for problems but was unable to find the demo so presume you have removed it for the tome being  ;)

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

kanonet

Quote from: Hemlos on 2012-Dec-11
If you guys wouldnt mind, i need this program tested bare bones with only one particle being drawn.

Need test for crash.

Its here, uploaded to forum:
No crash on that Version.

Hemlos

Awesome, thank you Lee, and Christoph!
need more feedback from erico and big, check if the barebones still crashbandicoots them.

Im glad i converted the lib...it seems to run, litteraly 20 times faster so far...although i need to add a couple details.
I will have a new demo today, itll be running 30k particles, instead of 1500 ;)

heres a screenshot

kanonet

OMG i will not really be able to test with 30k particles my machine is to slow to render this.