Snake Slider, translation help needed

Previous topic - Next topic

BdR

Hi all,

I've always thought multi-language is a cool and professional looking feature of many games and apps, and I always wanted to build it into one of my games. A while ago I released Snake Slider and recently I've been putting in a multi-language feature for the next update. So all I need now are the translated texts. I've already put the original English texts in there and translated it to Dutch. I'd very much like to get the German, French, Italian, Spanish (and if possible Portugese) translations. so I'm looking for native speakers in German, French, Italian, Spanish or Portugese (other Euro-languages like Swedish etc. are of course also appreciated) who want to help translate my game.

Gernot suggested to make a google-docs spreadsheet and then paste the link here, so everyone can help translate it. I was already working with an Excel file, so I've copy pasted into a google-spreadsheet, and here is the link :) Column A, B, C are descriptions, the blue part is info about the translation. The actual translated texts need to go into the column F (German) or (G) French etc. I've already filled in some phrases which I found in the Cut The Rope app.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao14aIL7Bhz-dFFjUGpjYlZWNGFmQWpBZ1NpMVNDc0E

There is one little 'problem' though, the translated text can get too long and won't fit into a button or text balloon. For this reason, I've created a test program which displays the texts as they will appear in the app. See the MultiLanguageTest app in the attachement. To test it you can edit the Excel file, press ALT-F8 and run the macro to create the datafiles and then start MultiLanguageTest.exe to see how the translated texts will appear.

Please state in this thread if you want to do a translation, to avoid doubled efforts.

I've reserved place on the credits screen, and I really want to mention credits of the person who made the translation, like "translations by: John Schmidt (de), Jean Dubois (fr)" or something like that. Alternatively, I could put "Translation by: GLBasic Community" or something, but I don't like such inpersonal/anonymous credits. Apart from the credits (eternal fame!) I can offer of course promocodes for a free copy of the full version to the translators.

Let me know if anyone is interested in doing this, cheers,
Bas

(ps: please, do not use google-translate or babelfish, I could easily use those myself but that results in terrible translations, thank you)

[attachment deleted by admin]

BdR

The Spanish translation is ready (thanks to ampos :nw:), anyone interested in doing the German or French or Italian translation?

Albert

I've just typed in the Hungarian translation.

BdR

Excellent, so far I've got the Spanish and Hungarian translations.

Anyone want to do the German and French translations? :) Also, I don't know who started with the Italian translation but didn't finish it, was that anyone from here...?

felix330

I will do the german translation :)

Edit: Done!

spacefractal

Filix was editing while I looking on it, so I did the danish one (mightbeen not 100% perfect, but 100% useable), sorry if I distrub in the start (its was not intended).

Howover I have seen both DK and DA returned from the language function, so whatout for that. Its depend on device.

Some menu buttons need to been larger to make sure its fit any language. I think you should do 2 or 3 versions of them. I have not checked, but tried to short them so much as possible. Example "Indstillinger" is property too long for the button, but its a pretty long danish word for "Options".

Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

spacefractal

Just updated and fixed few other lines to. I hope they now it not to long.

Ps. Tanks for code, but already brought the game (no worry). Only if you do hd separate I want one, hehe
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

gigios

Hi, I have finished the Italian translation!
If some Italian user found errors, they can correct it!

Now I'm trying the translations in the test project.

BdR

Excellent, thanks gigios, I'll take a closer look at it tonight :) And also thanks to spacefractal and Felix for the Danish and German translations! :good:

The Hungarian and Danish are very much appreciated, but the reason I was asking specifically for the German/French/Italian/Spanish translations is that most of the users have those languages. To give you an idea, here is the list of Snake Slider Lite users and the locale setting they use (webos/ios combined).

Code (glbasic) Select
English speak 76,96 % (en, gb, us, au)
Germany       11,86 %
France         3,11 %
Spain          2,76 %
zh (chinese?)  1,62 %
Italy          1,56 %
Saudi Arabia   0,70 %
Netherlands    0,26 %
Japan          0,20 %
Canada         0,18 %
Korea (south)  0,10 %
Thailand       0,08 %
Israel         0,07 %
India          0,06 %
Switzerland    0,06 %
Rest           0,42 % (sg, se, kw, hk, pt, ie etc. 5 users or less)

So far there haven't been many full version sales, but Snake Slider Lite (free) does especially well on the Palm Pre; around 8500 webos downloads and around 450 iOS downloads. The next release will probably be end of november, both full and lite version will have the multi-language feature and I hope to also have high-resolution ("retina") support built-in by then. I want the app to be backwards compatible with 3G devices (low-resolution 320*480 display), although I have no idea how many users still use the 3rd generation device..

Kitty Hello

I smoothened some of the German translations. It sounds perfect  now.

gigios

I corrected some translations to properly display in the graphics.
Now it looks perfect  :P.

BdR

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2011-Nov-09
I smoothened some of the German translations. It sounds perfect  now.
Thanks :) btw some of the German phrases are too long (click here), if you could take a look..? The tutorial text balloon have two lines of text, I could change it to 3 but that would require a lot of changes just for a few words.

spacefractal

Denmark is a little country and I did just that for fun, not to get the game (because I already had it), but make sure it's check dk and da as country code, since it's differ from system to system. If you just select by flag, use dk.

Lesser speak languages is always fun to have....

Ps. A sd and a hd version could been separated (while hd require os4+). it's could been due compatible.

Kitty Hello

I tried to fix it, but I coudn't get the test program to use the strings :(

BdR

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2011-Nov-09
I tried to fix it, but I coudn't get the test program to use the strings :(
Great, thanks, i'll take a look later today. btw a colleague said that it's better not to mix formal and informal in German. I thought it was more common to use formal (Sie, Ihre) instead of informal (Du, deine), so can I change "Du kannst" in "Sie können"? (it's about equal in length anyway)