iPod Touch development

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

I've got a shiny new Mac Mini.
I've got a shiny new iPod Touch.
I've got the urge to create something for the latter, via the former.

One thing I haven't got (yet) is the Apple developer licence. Do I need this just to be able to create my first app for the iPod Touch? I'd rather not waste a month or so of the yearly licence just getting myself familiar with the systems.

Or do I have to throw even more cash at Apple?
I came. I saw. I played.

trucidare

aks someone in the forum to share a profile with you to test applications.

@the_one_with_the_developer_account: share a profile let him not to push into appstore without you. because only the founder can distribute or see the tax or whatever.
MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC

matchy

I think you can send a key chain certificate thingy (unlike AdHoc) and device id to an iPhone developer (like AdHoc) and receive a development profile for to use your test device only. :glare:

Ian Price

Quote from: matchy on 2010-Sep-01
I think you can send a key chain certificate thingy (unlike AdHoc) and device id to an iPhone developer (like AdHoc) and receive a development profile for to use your test device only. :glare:

Um... yeah. what's that in English again? :S

I think by the sounds of it that signing over my soul to Apple is probably my only real option.

Cheers chaps. :)
I came. I saw. I played.

trucidare

Apple collected 80% of souls resign here in forum.
MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC

fjsantosb

Hi Ian,

First, congrats for your buy!

I would like to help you, but I fear that is not possible with only certificate (I can do a certificate for your application with your device id but to compile you will need your own keychains which you request to Apple Server and is attached to your MAC).

Maybe if you jailbreak your device you could develop for Apple without a licence (at least on first stages), althought, I am not really sure of this.

King Regards, fjsantos.
Francisco Santos Belmonte founder of Tip Tap Games.
Twitter: www.twitter.com/tiptapgames
Facebook: http://dld.bz/dYVd
iPhone News & Sales: www.gamesappetizer.com

Ian Price

Cheers fjsantos, but I wasn't asking to be included on anyone else's certificates etc. whatever. I just wanted to be able to create something and test it on my own iPod first and foremost, as I would with GP2X and Wiz etc. i just want to make sure my apps are running properly (and to get the basics of compiling/transferring for the damn thing first) etc. etc.

There will be more questions about other iDevice stuff soon. I promise... :D :P

:)
I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

You do need to sign up for any sort of iPhone development unfortunately.

So it means giving even more money to Apple, waiting a few days for payment to go through, setup your iPhone/iPod/iPad, create a certificate and wait a day for it to arrive and then you can start testing.

Ian Price

QuoteSo it means giving even more money to Apple, waiting a few days for payment to go through, setup your iPhone/iPod/iPad, create a certificate and wait a day for it to arrive and then you can start testing.

Thanks for the info - I'll hopefully get this sorted in the next week or so. :)
I came. I saw. I played.

matchy

Ian, it sound like you should get the license. You need a provisional file, not certificate (that is yours to make with). It's a process and this is just a taste of what to expect when YOU start getting your hand dirty in the orchard.  :S

Hatonastick

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Was thinking recently I'd love to see more of the RR guys making games for the IDevices. :)
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

fjsantosb

Hi Ian,

If you are interested on see your code working on iPhone / iPod and you haven't got your licence yet, I can make an AdHoc for you. That is the most fastest way in order to see your work working on real device.

King Regards, fjsantos.
Francisco Santos Belmonte founder of Tip Tap Games.
Twitter: www.twitter.com/tiptapgames
Facebook: http://dld.bz/dYVd
iPhone News & Sales: www.gamesappetizer.com

Ian Price

Cheers fjsantos, but a very kind soul (who I shall not mention publicly, but a big THANKS goes out to him :)) has given me the remaining 6months of their licence to get myself started. I had a very short play (after XCODE took over an hour to download) and got the  BASE SDK error, but it looks like the answer to that problem is here on the forums, having had a brief skim last night. I've not had any time to delve any deeper just yet, and I only have another 5 minutes now. :(

I'll get it sorted.

But one thing I can say, is I love all of you guys (but not in a sexual way!). :)
I came. I saw. I played.